Ben W
A Mum
38 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 37 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Go down

Adelaide  - Page 37 Empty Re: Adelaide

Post by IAmTheWarrior Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:15 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Apparently Ben Jarman looks like he'll be headed to Hawthorn next year rather than Adelaide.

That is according to his uncle Andrew though who doesn't have a great track record with reporting facts.

Word is Adelaide isn't that keen on burning a high draft pick for him.

Will Hawthorn have any high draft picks left for him? Sydney wants Picks for Mitchell. Unfortunately we don't have a second round pick so I'm assuming we will be offering up a few players in return for picks to get back into the draft higher than pick 50.
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:58 pm

IAmTheWarrior wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:Apparently Ben Jarman looks like he'll be headed to Hawthorn next year rather than Adelaide.

That is according to his uncle Andrew though who doesn't have a great track record with reporting facts.

Word is Adelaide isn't that keen on burning a high draft pick for him.

Will Hawthorn have any high draft picks left for him? Sydney wants Picks for Mitchell. Unfortunately we don't have a second round pick so I'm assuming we will be offering up a few players in return for picks to get back into the draft higher than pick 50.

The club would be banking on receiving a second round pick as compensation for Henderson. They have told him he is not required and all going to plan he will secure a transfer to another club via free agency, resulting in a compensation pick being awarded to Adelaide.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:15 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Bryce Gibbs has requested a trade home to Adelaide. Will be interesting to see if/how the deal gets done, but personally I think he fits the bill for what we need in the midfield. Another experienced head with an elite kick, had a cracking year this year also.

Just hope we don't sell the farm for him.

if it happens & presumably it will then how many games will Scott Thompson play ?

this is a very good get & perhaps this is why Adelaide let Dangerfield go ''cheaply'' as this was known in advance
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:14 am

bayman wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:Bryce Gibbs has requested a trade home to Adelaide. Will be interesting to see if/how the deal gets done, but personally I think he fits the bill for what we need in the midfield. Another experienced head with an elite kick, had a cracking year this year also.

Just hope we don't sell the farm for him.

if it happens & presumably it will then how many games will Scott Thompson play ?

this is a very good get & perhaps this is why Adelaide let Dangerfield go ''cheaply'' as this was known in advance

Scott Thompson will be playing more SANFL than AFL next year regardless of whether Gibbs comes or not. He'll be playing a role similar to Van Berlo last year, and Podsiadly the year before that - providing leadership and mentoring to the youngsters on the list.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:54 pm

No deal on the Gibbs deal! What a weird trade period.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Disappointed we didn't get Gibbs, but no way is he worth 2 first round draft picks.

At the end of the day, we still have our first round pick and Carlton has a player that doesn't want to be at the club (and against Bolton's mantra that he only wants players committed to the club).

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:02 am

Brucetiki wrote:Disappointed we didn't get Gibbs, but no way is he worth 2 first round draft picks.

At the end of the day, we still have our first round pick and Carlton has a player that doesn't want to be at the club (and against Bolton's mantra that he only wants players committed to the club).

Gee there's some people losing their mind over the failure of this deal. I just don't understand it personally.

He came to Adelaide asking them to see what they could do. They explored all options, but Carlton stood firm and them's the breaks.

I don't think his recruitment is crucial to Adelaide's improvement next year. 2/3rds of the starting 22 from last year were in their early 20's, not to mention a long list of talented players stuck in the SANFL due to a great run with injury this year.

List wise I can't remember a time where we had this much talent running around in the tri-colours. The squad is well balanced and has depth on every line. I'm glad the Club didn't compromise that on a 'smash and grab' raid for Gibbs.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:12 am

I tend to agree. I didn't think Gibbs was the answer at a high price.

I am a little critical that there didn't seem to be any Plan B to target an outside runner, though.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:16 am

Totally agree with that.

At the end of the day, Gibbs was a 'nice to have'. Yes it would've been awesome to bring him in, but he wasn't worth selling our future for him.

We have a great list at the moment, which will only be boosted by the draft.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:39 am

Lee wrote:I tend to agree. I didn't think Gibbs was the answer at a high price.

I am a little critical that there didn't seem to be any Plan B to target an outside runner, though.

A lot of talk about Adelaide's need for outside run, but I actually think we've got plenty on the list. Some of it still needs developing and improving, but it's there:

Brodie Smith
Paul Seedsman
David Mackay
Charlie Cameron (will spend more time in the mid next year)
Wayne Milera (will be in the first 22 next year)
Curtly Hampton (real talent if he can get his body right)
Riley Knight (he is the one that will slot in and have impact next year IMO)

Some serious pace on that list, and I've probably overlooked one or two others.

Brad Crouch & Cam Ellis-Yolmen can be a mixture of both if they can find their best (not pacey necessarily, but have the footy smarts to work outside and inside the contest).

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:00 am

I don't see most of those as having 'outside pace' that we need, except for Cameron.

Smith is already there, we need to complement him with outside on-ball pace. Perhaps Cameron could fill that role, but he needs to show he can be a mid-fielder yet.

Seedsman's been there, Mackay is too inconsistent and drops out of games too often for me.

Milera isn't so much quick over the ground to break lines, more elusive in tight situations & doesn't get enough of it yet.

Hampton is talented, but I don't see speed so much.

Knight is OK, but again, not the answer to the outside pace question, IMO.

On the other hand, to be fair, there aren't a lot of speedy types who are good enough around the place.

Crouch and EY also are anything but quick at all.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:14 am

Lee wrote:I don't see most of those as having 'outside pace' that we need, except for Cameron.

Smith is already there, we need to complement him with outside on-ball pace. Perhaps Cameron could fill that role, but he needs to show he can be a mid-fielder yet.

Seedsman's been there, Mackay is too inconsistent and drops out of games too often for me.

Milera isn't so much quick over the ground to break lines, more elusive in tight situations & doesn't get enough of it yet.

Hampton is talented, but I don't see speed so much.

Knight is OK, but again, not the answer to the outside pace question, IMO.

On the other hand, to be fair, there aren't a lot of speedy types who are good enough around the place.

Crouch and EY also are anything but quick at all.

Agree
I think two things may have hindered the Crows getting Gibbs
1 either the Crows leaked it out or the Port run media in Adelaide ran with it
2 Or Carlton decided to get even over the Crows getting Betts from them .

What ever happens it happened
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:16 am

Gibbs is an outside sort of player I guess, but I have never seen him in much more than a canter. So if its speed they're looking for, not sure if he is your man.

He has played across half back previously in that sweeper role and he reminds of the way Hodge plays in some ways. I think he wold have fit better into the Crows lineup in that role.

I don't think any of the pundits put him in the elite Mid category.
A good player but not worth 2 first rounds picks.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:26 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I don't think any of the pundits put him in the elite Mid category.
A good player but not worth 2 first rounds picks.

Exactly. Love this quote getting around this morning:

"Carlton football manager Andrew McKay has hit back at Adelaide, saying that the Blues "obviously" value Bryce Gibbs more than the Crows after a proposed trade deal for the star midfielder fell through on Thursday."

You're absolutely correct Andrew - which is why you've had a **** list for nigh on 15 years now.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Just received an interesting email from the CEO:
Andrew Fagan wrote:
There is never a dull moment in an industry like the AFL and this year’s trade period reinforced the fact.

It is an emotive time and I understand the frustration and disappointment swirling around among some sections of our supporter base. Like many of you, we are also disappointed and would have loved to see Bryce Gibbs or another elite onballer join our Club to strengthen what is already a talented midfield. Rest assured we have a list management team that spends countless hours analysing, debating and planning, and quite rightly makes decisions minus the emotion and based purely on the facts and strategic interests of the Club as we push for the ultimate success.

Why did we refuse to meet Carlton’s demand for two first round draft picks? Put simply, it would have been irresponsible list management. We acknowledged Gibbs was contracted to his current club for a further three years but it was too high a price to pay for a quality midfielder like Gibbs, who at the age of 28 possibly only offers another four years at the top flight. The talented teenagers who our Club hopes to secure using the above mentioned early draft picks should turn out to be long-term prospects, who each make a contribution stretching a decade or more.

I have also heard many people saying that we put all our focus on Gibbs and ran out of time to pursue other options, or worse yet neglected to even consider different scenarios. That kind of commentary is totally incorrect. Like all list management teams across the League, the guys did a huge amount of homework and debated a number of possibilities. You must remember this is not a case of picking a player, paying them a large amount of money and having them arrive on your doorstep. Firstly, you need to find a player that suits your needs and environment. They must then be available and willing to move to South Australia. Individuals who fit the criteria were few and far between this year.

So where to from here? Our off-season recruiting strategy was always focused on going to the draft, which is widely regarded to run deep with talent, in search of quality young players who will complement the anticipated natural growth and development from within our current playing group next year and beyond. We were compelled to explore the Gibbs scenario after receiving an eleventh hour call from his manager prior to trade period. We obviously want to see our midfield get better and we strongly believe this will occur with the likes of the Crouch brothers, Atkins, Cameron, Knight, Milera, Ellis-Yolmen, Wigg and Gore among others.

Thanks must go to Jarryd Lyons, who saw greater playing opportunities and financial reward at the Suns, for his contribution over the past six years and wish him all the best at the Gold Coast. This time of year is always a tough one at football clubs as you often farewell good people and we also wish former captain Nathan van Berlo, Luke Lowden and Keenan Ramsey all the best with their future endeavours.

I would also like to congratulate and welcome the female players who joined the Crows family in the inaugural national draft. There are some talented, inspiring and high achieving athletes in the squad and they will provide plenty of excitement as we push for on-field success, while striving to become the club of choice for all young girls and women.

The Membership team has been super busy getting ready for the launch of our 2017 packages and if not already, you should receive some correspondence in the next week or so. Around the same time, the AFL will make one of its most anticipated annual announcements which is the release of the fixture. Hosting Indigenous Round is on our wish list, so too gaining our fair share of marquee timeslots like Thursday and Friday nights especially given the League’s long-standing approach of rewarding teams that play attacking and entertaining football.

Thanks again for your ongoing support. We Fly As One!

Regards, Andrew
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:26 pm

I'm not that disappointed in not getting Gibbs. He is useful but he's not a superstar. To be honest I thought his best use would be across half back to free up Brodie Smith for more time in the middle. That's not worth giving up 2 first round picks for.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:32 pm

The other thing you have be really careful of I think is compromising your team culture to get a 'big' name.

Put yourself in a players shoes, would you be happy if some bloke waltzed in to what you built like he owned it, gouging a chunk of your next contract out of the salary cap and/or causing a couple of your mates to be moved on in the process?

Could easily do more harm than good.

This year's GF was a perfect example of a champion team beating a team of champions. How did the Bondi millionaires go in that game?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:42 am

Bit harsh ginger, how do you know Bryce Gibbs would just "waltz in to what was already built as if he owned it" ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:07 am

bayman wrote:Bit harsh ginger, how do you know Bryce Gibbs would just "waltz in     to what was already built as if he owned it" ?

I'm not saying that as a comment on Bryce as an individual and this situation in particular, more an observation on clubs hunting for big name recruits in general, and that it can actually do more harm than good if not done correctly.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:22 am

Very happy with Adelaide's draw for 2017.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Agreed - got quite a few blockbuster timeslots, and a good draw in terms of double-ups.

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
bayman wrote:Bit harsh ginger, how do you know Bryce Gibbs would just "waltz in     to what was already built as if he owned it" ?

I'm not saying that as a comment on Bryce as an individual and this situation in particular, more an observation on clubs hunting for big name recruits in general, and that it can actually do more harm than good if not done correctly.

well seeing you were ''generally speaking'' i say fair enough
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 am

Have to say I'm quite proud of what Adelaide has done in re-drafting Shaw to look after him and make sure he's covered under the new wage conditions. They obviously take their duty of care to their players very seriously.

Was also interesting to read that Adelaide was the preferred destination for the families of several of the draftees, mainly due to their reputation for having excellent 'care' structures in place.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Have to say I'm quite proud of what Adelaide has done in re-drafting Shaw to look after him and make sure he's covered under the new wage conditions. They obviously take their duty of care to their players very seriously.

Was also interesting to read that Adelaide was the preferred destination for the families of several of the draftees, mainly due to their reputation for having excellent 'care' structures in place.

Agreed. I thought redrafting Shaw showed that the club does have a focus on player welfare and the culture is more then just winning at all costs.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:47 pm

Co-captains?

Is this a big deal or just recognition of Sloane's contribution?

Apparently it was Pike's call but he did consult Tex for his opinion.

I am not really sure that it provides much additional clout to the leadership as that is largely governed by how blokes act.

This co-captain model has been tried a few times by various clubs, but I can't see a lot of benefit to it.

Wouldn't work for Port as you can't have two number 0.5s.... Arrow Arrow
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38  Next