Ben W
A Mum
38 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 12 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 38  Next

Go down

Adelaide  - Page 12 Empty Re: Adelaide

Post by Lee Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks for the updates, BT. A dislocated shoulder is generally a long-term injury.

I wouldn't read too much into this game.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:59 pm

redandblack wrote:
Booney wrote:
redandblack wrote:The problem with the new SANFL setup is that I'm less bothered about an injury to a Crows or AFL player now, as it's one less good player for their SANFL team.

Hope nobody gets a serious injury, but one or two game injuries are fine with me now.

Are West Adelaide one of the clubs who offered top up players?

If so, lots of Adelaide injuries may mean them calling on more players from West, therefore reducing your depth and impacting upon your club.

Yes, Booney, we have the promising Jye DeZylva with the Crows.

They have plenty of backup, so it won't affect us or other SANFL clubs.

What do you mean, "plenty of back up"?

So they have 18 or so left over from their AFL list, then they have x? amount of kids from SANFL/Country clubs. Yes?

x=?

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Agreed - the intensity dropped right off (for both sides) in the second half, heck even the timekeeper had enough blowing the siren with 2.5 minutes to go  Laughing 

Pity they switched the stream off shortly after the game, sounded like a decent storm was just about to hit Blacktown - may have been more entertaining than the game  Laughing 

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Shaw - Hamstring tightness

Or 'some other joker' according to Booney.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Booney wrote:
redandblack wrote:
Booney wrote:
redandblack wrote:The problem with the new SANFL setup is that I'm less bothered about an injury to a Crows or AFL player now, as it's one less good player for their SANFL team.

Hope nobody gets a serious injury, but one or two game injuries are fine with me now.

If so, lots of Adelaide injuries may mean them calling on more players from West, therefore reducing your depth and impacting upon your club.

What do you mean, "plenty of back up"?

So they have 18 or so left over from their AFL list, then they have x? amount of kids from SANFL/Country clubs. Yes?

x=?

Yes, they have a list of SANFL back-ups and local and country players. My original point was, like any other SANFL team, as they get injuries, they have to call on lesser players. Good for the opposition, same as always, but more so with the AFL teams, due to the massive difference in quality between an AFL listed player and a local top-up player.

Go the Bloods  Cool 
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:43 pm

redandblack wrote:
Booney wrote:

As with Dezylva, all SANFL players used by the crows can't play against there SANFL club.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Douglas out for 6 weeks.

Had surgery today. Bleeding in the groin.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 pm

That one hurts a bit. Douglas is quality and will be hard to cover. At least it's not a season ender or anything like that.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Gingernuts wrote:That one hurts a bit. Douglas is quality and will be hard to cover. At least it's not a season ender or anything like that.

On top of his injury they also have 4 or 5 other first picked players on the sidelines and the season hasn't even started--first game against Geelong at the cattery, good luck.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Much is being made of Adelaide's injuries, but Douglas is the only key playmaker injured at the moment. Lynch & Henderson would've been picked for Round 1, but I believe they can be covered.

Otherwise the engine room is in tact, the forward line looks good pending the return of Walker, and there is a queue forming for a spot on the half back line.

As far as Geelong goes, they are in the same boat. It is always a tough trek down there but I actually think we're a show.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 am

Saddened to hear the passing of Dean Bailey Sad

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/crows-and-power-mourn-adelaide-assistant-coach-dean-bailey-who-has-died-at-47-after-a-lung-cancer-battle/story-fnia3xzy-1226851193736
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:34 am

Horrible news this morning that Dead Bailey has passed away with lung cancer at 47

RIP Dean
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 am

This is a real shock. What a loss. Puts things in perspective that's for sure. RIP Dean.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:42 pm

RIP Dean
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 pm

sad to see anyone in the prime of life taken, i don't think many realize he played for Glenelg & i'll add he was simply a class act both on & off the field, i echo everyones thoughts & prayers, our condolences to the family

RIP
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri May 09, 2014 8:58 am

Interesting article in the paper today:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/adelaide-crows-chief-executive-steven-trigg-on-the-radar-for-brisbane-lions-top-job/story-e6frea6u-1226911064345

Trigg heading North?

The rumours about the challenge to the board by a former player are also very interesting.

I've made my thoughts known already on there, time to get some new blood into these key off field positions.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri May 09, 2014 9:27 am

This might be unfair to say, because unless you're involved closely with the club it's pretty much guesswork - but in my opinion Adelaide needs new blood. From board, administration, coaching group and playing list, ie right through the club.
It's smacking now more than ever of "jobs for the boys".
As an aside when Sanderson first commenced he and the club wanted to be the opposite onfield of what Adelaide had been but I'd argue they have been very typically Adelaide during his time.
The club should swallow it's pride and take a leaf out of Port's book and make some serious, not token, changes.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 am

I agree on the board and administration, less so on the coaching and playing list.

The two key positions in particular to me are the CEO, and also they need to find someone who will at least fill some small part of Dean Bailey's shoes. An experienced coach like John Worsfold or Bomber Thompson would be great (probably hoping for a bit much there, but no harm in trying).
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri May 09, 2014 10:28 am

The playing list relies too much on "OK" type of players.

Jaensch
Brown
Grigg
McKay
Reilly
Laird
Podsiadly
Van Berlo
Martin
Porplyzia
Johnstone
Rutten

Some of those players have been great servants but past their best and a few still have time to elevate their game with experience. But it's an average group that are relied upon to do lifting that is presently beyond them.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri May 09, 2014 10:37 am

Yes - some of that is due to circumstances beyond out control though. We've had four 1st/2nd round draft picks disappear that would have gone a fair way to adding some depth to the list, not to mention a prime key forward departing for nix, thanks to the efforts of our administration.

I still have faith that many of the younger guys will develop into quality players. If anything I think it's the support at the top end that's missing as you say. Apart from Thompson, all other players around the 30 year age bracket have been less than impressive over the past 18 months in particular.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri May 09, 2014 10:45 am

I agree generally about that list, with a couple of exceptions:

Laird has been excellent and has well above avergae ability.

McKay is more than useful for run and carry, although I acknowledge there are still plenty of weaknesses in his game.

Grigg needs more time.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri May 09, 2014 10:56 am

Yep, agree with all of those R&B.

My concerns as I said are at the other end of the spectrum:

- Reilly - his signature kick off half back seems to be to shank it out on the full.
- Porps - what happened to this bloke?
- Rutten - Truck for his turning circle and now his acceleration as well. Looks like he needs to work through about 15 gears to get going these days.

Van Berlo I still have time for. We need him back as our prime tagger so the players with significant upside that are doing the role like Kerridge are freed up again to realise their potential.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 pm

I agree with Scrunch on this.

For a long time, Adelaide seem to draft a similar type of player, the blond, supposedly quick medium height, midfielder type, along with medium small defenders.

They've had some coups among this type - Dangerfield and Sloane being the best examples.

However, they've long had, IMO, a mental weakness and I suspect it's partly because they don't recruit enough 'tough' players. Even in defence, where Talia is a wonderful player, you wouldn't say they've got much mongrel. I doubt other sides quake in fear of Adelaide as a side because of this.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that they're front-runners, playing a sterile, pretty brand of football. They also seem to be a dumb side. Whether that's coaching or the players is up for discussion.

You can only admire Port's turnaround and it's hard not to conclude that it has coincided with a tough, but mature and consistent approach from the top (Hinkley).

My conclusion is the same as Scrunch's - clean out the non-performers and overhaul the top end as well. I'm not generally a 'sack them' person, but Adelaide needs a major culture change, on and off the field.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri May 09, 2014 12:13 pm

I agree with all of that - but I do think that the on field culture is a reflection of the off field moreso at the moment. Adelaide only installed a new head coach 2 years ago - and I think due to off field blunders he has been restricted in what he can roll out.

I think recruitment since he has come on board has focused on the player you are talking about R&B, but they need time to develop. Laird is a tough nut, as are both the Crouch boys, even Brown has a bit of a hard edge IMO. Had the Tippett picks still been in play I would bet there would've been a few more lads picked of the same calibre. In effect Sanderson has only presided over 1 uncompromised draft, and that was in late 2011 after only a few weeks in charge.

Put simply Sanderson hasn't been able renew the list because he's been denied the tools.

Nope, for me the heat needs to be on the off-field at this point. The current on field dramas are a direct result of their decision making. Take a broom though it, and let Sanderson get on with the job without having to worry about a new piece of stupidity appearing from a secret filing cabinet somewhere to derail his efforts again.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 pm

There is no mongrel in the team, not even a genuine hard man. Danger gets sniped because there is a no fear of any pay back.

I'm still disgusted that Trigg came back - what was this "unfinished business" he talked about beyond fattening up his bank account again.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 38  Next