Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final

+2
A Mum
Brucetiki
6 posters

Go down

Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final Empty Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final

Post by Brucetiki Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:17 pm

AdelaideNow has reported that one of the umpires from the Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final was assaulted during three quarter time of the match, following threats against the league's umpires in recent weeks.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/umpire-paul-fitzgerald-bashed-during-a-grade-footy-grand-final-at-port-pirie/story-e6frea83-1226479835279

The only word to describe this is disgraceful. As much as we complain about the umpiring, they don't deserve to be attacked for simply doing their job. Given the threats allegedly made against the umps in this league in recent weeks, perhaps an appropriate punishment is to play the first couple of rounds next season behind locked gates. That way the players don't get punished, but the spectators get punished for this behaviour, and the clubs get punished for not addressing the issue seriously.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final Empty Re: Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final

Post by A Mum Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:18 am

Unfortunately I think it's just a sign of 'society' - seems to be less and less respect for everyone.

Given all the witnesses lets just hope that the guilty person is penalised accordingly and made an example of.

A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final Empty Re: Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final

Post by testy Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm

There is no place for this thuggery at all let alone a footy game. Ban him for life, name him and shame him with his photo in the local papers so that everyone knows who this COWARD is. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:40 pm

testy wrote:
There is no place for this thuggery at all let alone a footy game. Ban him for life, name him and shame him with his photo in the local papers so that everyone knows who this COWARD is. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

absolutely spot on
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm

The alleged culprit, Jeffrey John Hunter, has faced court, charged with recklessly causing harm to another person.

The case has been adjourned until next month

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:53 pm

i heard a bit of this on the news, interesting comment (i agree with him) by the victim regarding the written apology he received
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by The Axe Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/man-pleads-guilty-to-hitting-pirie-footy-umpire/story-e6frea83-1226588405155
The Axe
The Axe

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 pm

A Mum wrote:Unfortunately I think it's just a sign of 'society' - seems to be less and less respect for everyone.

I've just spent three weeks in Thailand and it has been a wonderful escape from the spiralling aggression in western cultures. Apart from the odd display of aggro from drunken western tourists, it has been a pleasure to experience how the Thai people respect each other. We could really learn from them. As they say, in Thailand, a smile is your passport, and it's amazing how you can communicate by just being pleasant.

A classic example is the traffic. At first observation it's chaos, until you realise it's controlled chaos. You don't have accidents over here because if you do, you are without a car for months and have to catch taxis, etc, therefore everyone just blends in and away they go.

In the streets, there's no pushing past people, etc, just take your turn. If someone reaches the stairs a step ahead of you, simply allow them to go first. So simple, and yet so effective.

After three weeks I feel at peace with the world .... it's a pity all of that will be undone by 24 hours back in Adelaide. I couldn't imagine the Thais playing Australian Rules Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Sounds good AH - glad you're having a good time - sounds like you should enjoy it while you can !!

Umpire assaulted during Spencer Gulf Football League Grand Final 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:12 pm

Hunter got 7 months for the king hit.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/footballer-jeffrey-john-hunter-jailed-for-king-hitting-umpire-paul-fitzgerald/story-e6frea83-1226632593292

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down