:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 24 of 38 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 38  Next

Go down

Adelaide  - Page 24 Empty Re: Adelaide

Post by Paul Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Lynch concussed in Lincoln
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:19 am

bayman wrote:i think i heard on the radio that Rod Jameson onto the board of Adelaide & was voted in by the members'..................how many board members' have been voted in by the members' ? has the ''jobs for the boys'' been stopped & if so when did this cease ? finally starting to be a football club rather than an organization

Now that they are independent from the SANFL they have introduced 2 positions on the board that will be voted on by the members. A good move, allows the members to have a say without it becoming a popularity contest rather than skills based.

That said, while Mark Riccuito was a no brainer I didn't think Rod Jameson was the best candidate for the second position to be honest. There were better credentialed candidates on the card, they just didn't have the public profile that Rod does with the supporter base.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 am

Listened to a bit of the first NAB Challenge game on the radio and watched the highlights and first signs were encouraging, particularly considering the names that weren't playing.

Lyons did well, Van Berlo looked good, Betts was up and about for his local crowd.

No injuries except a minor case of concussion to Tom Lynch, so all in all a productive hit out and I'm sure they'll all feel better for the run.

Reluctant to draw too much else from it at this early stage.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:53 am

I have been convinced for a number of years now, that there is enough in Lyons to be a good AFL footballer. Whether that gets produced with enough regularity remains to be seen, but I definitely believe he has the required ability.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am

Scott Thompson has done a hammy at training and is now in doubt for Round 1.

Concerning for him as they gave him serious trouble last year and there are big questions around whether he has the pace anymore as it is. Was massively exposed many many times last season.

On the flip side, players of the likes of Grigg, Lyon, Kerridge, M Crouch all doing fist pumps (on the inside of course) at the news I'm sure.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Turns 32 Saturday, while sitting out a pre-season game with a hamstring, after having trouble all the way through 2014 with the back / hamstring related issue.

Not great signs for him.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:26 pm

could always go 'old school' & nurse him by putting him in a forward pocket with a licence to roam
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 am

"Old school" in 2015 AFL football?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:57 am

I fear Thommo is not build for the modern 'rebound' footy of the last season or two.

One of the best in the business when he has the pill, but badly exposed for pace when he hasn't.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:58 am

Adelaide had their 2nd NAB Challenge game last night against Geelong.

I didn't catch any of the game as I don't have Fox, but reading the reports they seemed a bit rusty. Turnovers, poor team defence and bad kicking for goal, all of the things that hurt us last year. Exposed in defence as well with the dual tall forwards. Talia had Hawkins covered but Clarke had a night out. The main area of concern for Adelaide in 2015.

Some positive signs from Cam Ellis-Yolmen though who could come from nowhere to jag a round 1 spot the way he's playing. Brad Crouch another youngster who had a good game, and Dangerfield did pretty well in his first pre-season effort.

A lot made of Dangerfield's contract on Fox Footy and at the ground apparently, but the AFC have played a straight bat to it all.

I'm a little bit concerned about the game but in the end you can't read too much into pre-season results. Hell, last year we flogged Port by 10 goals. That didn't exactly translate to the season proper.

Walsh seems to be throwing the magnets around the board as well to see what various players are capable of, so I think that contributed to the loss.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:37 am

Booney wrote:"Old school" in 2015 AFL football?

well he would be dangerous roaming the forward line & would take a good player to play on him thus taking that player from another position & freeing up someone else & if he got the ball 15 times he would kick/set up at least 4 goals, then again goals don't matter these days, only stats do Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:45 am

bayman wrote:

well he would be dangerous roaming the forward line & would take a good player to play on him thus taking that player from another position & freeing up someone else & if he got the ball 15 times he would kick/set up at least 4 goals, then again goals don't matter these days, only stats do Wink

Bzzzt...incorrect.

The scoreboard, goals, still decides the winner. Wink
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:03 pm

GN, I saw parts of the game and I wouldn't be as disappointed as you from what I saw. I thought they were on top for long periods and moved the ball well.

What cost them is the continuing disgraceful set shots for goal and the lack of another tall defender, as you know.

Given we were playing a strong Geelong side, at Geelong, I thought it was a fair effort.

Not so good: Jenkins. Set shots, some decision making and no 2nd tall defender.

Good: THought Van Berlo was surprisingly good, Laird very good, Talia totally blanketed Hawkins.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Lee wrote:GN, I saw parts of the game and I wouldn't be as disappointed as you from what I saw.  I thought they were on top for long periods and moved the ball well.

What cost them is the continuing disgraceful set shots for goal and the lack of another tall defender, as you know.

Given we were playing a strong Geelong side, at Geelong, I thought it was a fair effort.

Not so good:  Jenkins.  Set shots, some decision making and no 2nd tall defender.

Good:  THought Van Berlo was surprisingly good, Laird very good, Talia totally blanketed Hawkins.

Tackling had improved greatly
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Booney wrote:
bayman wrote:

Bzzzt...incorrect.

The scoreboard, goals, still decides the winner. Wink

you know what i mean Very Happy Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 am

Lee wrote:GN, I saw parts of the game and I wouldn't be as disappointed as you from what I saw.  I thought they were on top for long periods and moved the ball well.

Not so good:  Jenkins.  Set shots, some decision making and no 2nd tall defender.

Good:  THought Van Berlo was surprisingly good, Laird very good, Talia totally blanketed Hawkins.

Thanks for that Lee, yea I have since talked to a Geelong mate who was pretty impressed with Adelaide after they got a spray from Walsh at quarter time.

Midfield will be a real asset this year I reckon, we're starting to build some decent depth in there with Brad Crouch coming on, along with second tier players like Grigg, Lyon, Kerridge, and even Cam Ellis-Yolmen who could be a surprise bolter on pre-season form.

Van Berlo's experience and composure will be add a lot to the team as well. Last year was definitely a case of not realising what you had until it was gone.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:27 am

How the game changes before our very eyes.

Two years ago it seemed as though van Berlo was going to be eaten up in the argy-bargy of the modern game. Questions not only over his captaincy but his place in the side.

Two years on and with a year out of the game, he returns and could be a real weapon in the up-and-down the ground nature of the modern game. He's an almost perfect ( not in all ways, obviously ) replacement for Thompson in Adelaide's engine room.

Brad Crouch, Dangerfield and Sloane will all relish the opportunity to "go and get it" without Thompson crashing into them.

With B.Crouch, Grigg and Kerridge making headway into the midfield mis with Dangerfield, Sloane, van Berlo, Douglas....the injury to Thompson could not have come at a worse time for him personally.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:12 am

What do you think of the new marketing slogan, Ginge?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:10 am

I'm not a big one for slogans but I think focusing on uniting the club and supporter base is a step in the right direction. Simple, effective, says what it needs to.

To be honest though I'm probably at the point where I've heard nearly six months of rhetoric, now I just want Walsh and the boys to hit the field and follow through the words with actions.

Don't get me wrong, everything that has come out of the club since the 'changing of the guard' at the end of last season has been tops - but I've seen a few false dawns over the last 10 - 15 years. I'm taking the conservative approach this time around and not letting myself get too excited until there's some results on the board.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:17 am

I quite enjoyed reading this mind you:

PHIL WALSH: “The AFL is about wins and losses — and there is no moral victories or honourable losses. You either get the job done on game day or you don’t.

“Failure is feedback and it is how you use that feedback that matters, and rest assured the Adelaide Football Club is not about excuses in 2015.”

“I believe strongly about what ‘team’ means and how it differs from a group of individuals.

“Teams only exist when individuals are more concerned with how their team is defined, rather than how they are defined by others.

“The Adelaide Football Club is all about team. Team success is an outcome of trust — and trust is built when actions match words.”

“Because success doesn’t come looking for you. There’s no secret recipe. What is required is a combination of hard work, elite standards, attention to detail and a fierce competitive spirit from every player each time they wear a Crows jumper.

“I have explained to these players the difference between being ‘interested’ in playing for the Adelaide FC and being ‘committed’ to playing for the Adelaide FC.

“Success is within our reach, but we need total commitment from everyone, not just a few because we are about to come up against 17 other teams that are just as desperate for success as we are.

“Too often we live in a world of should have, could have and would have.”

“Your time is now, don’t waste a moment. Be the teammate you want others to be.”

Again, it's just rhetoric at this point - but it had me wanting to run through a brick wall when I first read it over my muesli this morning! If he's bringing that sort of intensity and demand to the players you can't help but feel we'll do alright this year.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 am

This bit here is the key one for me:

Teams only exist when individuals are more concerned with how their team is defined, rather than how they are defined by others.

In the past to many people at the AFC have given a stuff about what other people think of them. Players, supporters, administrators.

What happens on the outside doesn't matter. What other people think doesn't matter. If it works for you and brings you success, just do it.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:32 am

Time will tell, but the more I hear Walsh speak or read things he has said I get the feeling he'll break as many souls as he inspires.

It might take a year or two for him to work out who does and doesn't fit into his mould at West Lakes.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 am

Booney wrote:Time will tell, but the more I hear Walsh speak or read things he has said I get the feeling he'll break as many souls as he inspires.

It might take a year or two for him to work out who does and doesn't fit into his mould at West Lakes.

Well said
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Scrunch wrote:
Booney wrote:Time will tell, but the more I hear Walsh speak or read things he has said I get the feeling he'll break as many souls as he inspires.

Well said

The key to success will be if the administration can give him the space to do what he needs to do.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:14 pm

I'd think 100% backing from the playing group will be just as important. A total "buy in" with nobody left behind.

Why do I say this? The rumors I've heard filter out since Sando's demise has the tail wagging the dog far more than first thought.

Having said that, I reakon that's why Walsh picked Walker to lead the side. No bull **** policy has been invoked.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 38 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 38  Next