columbo
Flag No.10
Scrappy
mickyj
bayman
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

North v Eagles grand final 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: North v Eagles grand final 2020

Post by spell_check Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Thirty-two minutes, fifty-eight seconds.

That's all it took to tell the SANFL public things would be different this time.  No meek performance, no hard luck, no same old Eagles in finals...in other fans words, 'choke' - none of that either, word vanished this time.

Sure, it may have looked that way in the first quarter, when the timidness seen regularly came out.  What may surprise you though, is out of the five first quarters the club lost this year, one was to South and the other four all against the Roosters.  All four meetings, so it was the same old in that regard.  What was to follow, however, surely could not have been in even the most optimistic of supporters heads or hearts.  An unsuspecting SANFL community was treated to, with context in mind, possibly the best quarter of the 654 matches the club has played from 1991 on.  Those 32:58 minutes and seconds.

Consider:
-The fifth highest quarter score in GF history
-The second highest second quarter score in GFs
-The margin within the quarter was the second highest in GFs
-Only the second time the highest scoring quarter of a season was in a GF, and only the fourth in any finals match in a given season
-The highest scoring second quarter by the club at the venue, and second highest for any quarter

After that, some inaccuracy came into the game.  However, you could just tell, who was boss this time - the chasing, tackling, pressure, all the things that make you look like you have extra numbers out there (but legally!).  It was relentless.  No miracle comeback here.

Case in point:  Hartung and Toumpas on the wing, basically running and wrestling at the same time, not wanting to pick the ball up in case of being penalised HTB.  I thought, who's gonna be the third player in? A - Poole.  It's the little things like this.

Some player reviews:
Speaking of Angus Poole, this time a disciplined effort.  One of our downfalls in previous finals is indiscretions, and usually he is the reason for them.  Put his hand up during that second quarter with that checkside goal and strong leading mark which led to another.
Tsitas - was the most prominent player when the heat was on at the start, but didn't have as much impact after that.  Still ended up being one of six players to end up with that magical number of touches - 19.  I hope he stays and becomes our first Magarey Medalist (we still can't win the damn thing!)
Goldsworthy - I was hoping like mad he would be right for this match.  Only 11 touches, but every one of them hit the mark.  Kickstarted the golden run of goals to the gold, green and blue.
Giuffreda - At 33, still as effective as ever in defence.  The pressure act to force Young to error late in the first is such an example.  Deserves another year to get to 200 games.
Thompson - A premiership captain.  A general in defence.  Our second most precious gift from the old "mini draft".
Rowe - Goals in every game this year, can never be out of the action for too long.
McNeil - I've been critical of McNeils shots on goal in the previous two finals.  This time, a ripper goal in that second quarter kept the momentum rolling along, and was certainly a solid contributor during the game.
Lowson - In the era of defence first, not everyone in the forward line can get 2-4 goals per game.  I think everyone was hoping he didn't do more damage to the knee in the third, especially when he missed badly after taking the mark.  However, he let Spina know how much he was enjoying his time in Adelaide after getting the only last quarter goal.  Considering his story, I'm pleased he has turned his life around and is now an SANFL premiership player.
von Bertouch - Likewise, back in the days of say West in 1983 or Glenelg in 1975, multiple players reguarly notched multiple goals.  So, perhaps criticism is a little harsh for some downtime after a good start to the season.  Did also kick a goal.
J.Hayes - Another workhorse performance.  Such a valuable player to ruck, take contested marks, go forward if necessary.  I suspect if West wants more League time, Redden would have to retire.  
Sinor - Notched up another 20+ touches for the man who always seems to be in cruise control.  Perfect foil for the last two players in this list.
Toumpas - There were similarities to 2006, and he played the role of Skipworth, only did not get the Oatey this time.  One of his best games for the club, even contributor throughout the game, for the game high of 30 disposals.
Foote - The best till last.  Wow!  This year, he has been hit and miss, but this was a smack in the mouth hit.  The Cicolella role from 2006, at the forefront when the game was to be won and was the catalyst to arrest the momentum in the first.

I certainly will watch the game a number of times in time, but that second quarter, I'll bet I will end up memorising it, play by play.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

North v Eagles grand final 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: North v Eagles grand final 2020

Post by Aerie Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:36 pm

Great write up Spell Check.

Some coaching moves that paid off -

Goldsworthy started his career as a small forward, but has been used as a rebounding defender mainly in previous seasons and this year, when he’s been fit, he’s been used on a wing. Clearly he was under a heavy injury cloud, but using him as a small forward for this game was a great move. His 2 goals - the first in the 2nd and first in the 3rd - were crucial.

Goldsworthy’s vacant wing position was taken up by Firns, who had a tagging role on Allmond. This was also a great move. Firns has played a defensive role as a forward and on the ball - but would he be exposed on the wing? Sheedy knew his player and Firns repaid the faith and again, played an important role.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 am

goddy11 wrote:
Lee wrote:Try logging out and back in again.

Thanks Lee. Done it many times. Just comes up at the home page but shows no games. I press the reserves button but no drop downs.Today of all days Surprised

After 4 days my digital pass has come back with drop down windows on all grades and I can watch the reserves GF finally. Did anyone have the same issue that they could not watch the game Sunday. I rang the footy club and their thoughts were that it may have expired owing to the season going longer.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Great summary spell check and well done to your team, they were the stand-out side of the year.

As a neutral, I thought the Eagles looked absolutely nervous in the first quarter and were tentative because of it. Very early in the second quarter, I was critical of Poole and thought he actually shouldn't have been selected. He then turned the game around and was excellent, so much for my assessment!

We all know that Redden 'has been in a good paddock' but when he went into ruck (why didn't he do much ruck work in the first quarter -injury?) he put it on a plate for his midfielders and that started the charge. McNeil was awful in the first quarter, then was another to show his class.

Foote was just awesome.

Congratulations, a well deserved premiership.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:57 pm

Lee wrote:Great summary spell check and well done to your team, they were the stand-out side of the year.

As a neutral, I thought the Eagles looked absolutely nervous in the first quarter and were tentative because of it.  Very early in the second quarter, I was critical of Poole and thought he actually shouldn't have been selected.  He then turned the game around and was excellent, so much for my assessment!

We all know that Redden 'has been in a good paddock' but when he went into ruck (why didn't he do much ruck work in the first quarter -injury?) he put it on a plate for his midfielders and that started the charge.  McNeil was awful in the first quarter, then was another to show his class.

Foote was just awesome.

Congratulations, a well deserved premiership.

Great post Lee

Redden was injured against South was in doubt for the game .
I’m told Goldsworthy was the same .
Just on Foote he was on Sydney’s list played 5 games for them as a back man .
I think it was Twitter my daughter saw comments from Sydney fans saying he is the worst back man they’ve ever seen . And said why are you playing him on the ball . And I think they were in shock of how good he is . Myself I noticed him last year running pre game all alone bouncing the ball and kicking at the goals .

Poole was getting comments from north fans until he kicked two goals
Honestly I know he’s no saint but he did turn it on in the GF.
My eldest noticed the north players going after Rowe to stop him kicking goals . This left Poole Hayes and Foote alone to kick goals .

Still can not believe the Eagles won the flag still happy
Got my premiership tshirt and hat
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Thanks micky.

I would be amazed if Rowe isn't drafted or at least rookied.

It's not just his elite goal kicking, but in general play he's clean and smart. Doesn't look like a player physically and re haircut, but I've seen few better at his role.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Lee wrote:Thanks micky.

I would be amazed if Rowe isn't drafted or at least rookied.

It's not just his elite goal kicking, but in general play he's clean and smart.  Doesn't look like a player physically and re haircut, but I've seen few better at his role.

Sitting on the outer at woody oval Rowe is very hard on himself when he stuffs up .
I can’t post what he says to himself

Rowe was in last years draft and wasn’t taken funny even his dads ole AFL team wouldn’t take him .
Jones will go he’s from Ports aboriginal academy I’ve heard he’s going to Port also heard other clubs will make a offer to pick him up then heard no he’s going to Port

Personally I think a large number of Eagles will be drafted this year
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:24 pm

bayman wrote:That second quarter was the best quarter of footy I’ve seen in a long time, was breathtaking to watch as a neutral

WWT also had a brilliant 2nd qtr in the GF win over NW
They kicked 7-2 to 1-2
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2