Paul
Gingernuts
testy
Lee
18 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Adelaide's New Coach - Who? - Page 4 Empty Re: Adelaide's New Coach - Who?

Post by Lee Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm a reformed character, Booney, no sarcasm intended Very Happy
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Intentions are one thing, delivery is another.

ie "Yes, I like your new haircut, love."

Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 am

Chapman has stated that we won't have a coach appointed by the commencement of trade week on Monday.

I'm trying to stay positive, but my faith in the Club is starting to be severely tested....
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:56 am

Booney wrote:Intentions are one thing, delivery is another.

ie "Yes, I like your new haircut, love."

Very Happy

Ah, disbelievers Sad

Ok, Booney, I love your new haircut Wink
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Chapman has stated that we won't have a coach appointed by the commencement of trade week on Monday.

I'm trying to stay positive, but my faith in the Club is starting to be severely tested....

Yeah 2 clubs potentially going into trade week without a head coach.

Not sure I agree with that methodology.
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:09 pm

McKenna sacked, Thompson rumoured to be unveiled later this week.

I had heard Thompson two years > Bassett two years at Essendon. Will hinge on Hirds stance on appealing the court decision.

If Thompson leaves, Hird gets whacked, Bassett might have to choose between Essendon and Adelaide?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:10 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:Chapman has stated that we won't have a coach appointed by the commencement of trade week on Monday.

Yeah 2 clubs potentially going into trade week without a head coach.

Not sure I agree with that methodology.

The optimist in me believes that there is a lot more going on behind closed doors at the AFC than is being currently projected externally, and soon there will be a big announcement that will get things back on track.

The pessimist in me is starting to believe what is being widely reported - and that is that the AFC has NFI what they are doing.

Still siding with the optimist at this point, but the pessimist is making ground quickly!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Promises to be a great race! Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:18 pm

Booney wrote:Promises to be a great race! Very Happy

Laughing

For you maybe.

It's quickly becoming torture for most Adelaide fans though.

We've been copping it for a good couple of years now, we need something, anything to make us believe in our Club and cause again.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 pm

You'll be fine. At some stage they'll appoint a coach, he might be better than Sando, he might not.

Either way, you'll get a coach and move forward/sideways/backwards. Laughing

On a serious note, it is becoming a very interesting state of affairs at West Lakes. I would think they would want to appoint a coach by the end of next week at the very latest. No way would a club go into a trade / draft period without a senior coach expressing his wishes/wants/needs.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of Mr.Noble's office.

"Hello, David, it's Patty on the line for you"

"Hello, David, it's Nathan on the line for you"

"Hello, David, it Michelangelo on the line for you"

"Hello...."

" $^*^$(^&_&^_^&*_$&^(&@@&%($^@#*(%)_%*%&^%)*^%#*^_#&*%(&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Yep, I wouldn't want to be him right now!

I always thought they would have something sorted by the end of this week. Chapman's statement has deflated me a fair bit to be honest.

I appreciate that they're taking their time to get it right, but as you well know from previous years at your club, constantly hearing how inadequate your club is without any substance to base a counter argument on becomes rather tiresome.

Everyone one is just craving some vision and some sense of direction to be honest - players and fans I would say.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:48 pm

It is clearly becoming more apparent that the Sanderson sacking was a decision made with some haste.

Perhaps they did have Clarkson in mind, then everything you hear about the man suggests they were never a chance of getting him to break his current contract. He seems a man of real integrity.

Perhaps they did speak to Thompson and gather his desire to do the job, then lost him when they did as they did with Sanderson.

Perhaps they jumped the gun on several prospective coaches and will ultimately end up starting again with an untried coach.

It is difficult when you feel rudderless, it gets to be a little overwhelming when, as you say, you have no reasonable comeback or counter argument to run with.

Bottom line, you have to feel for Sanderson in all of this. I hope, and trust, he will get another gig somewhere soon.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Booney wrote:It is clearly becoming more apparent that the Sanderson sacking was a decision made with some haste.

Perhaps they did have Clarkson in mind, then everything you hear about the man suggests they were never a chance of getting him to break his current contract. He seems a man of real integrity.

Perhaps they did speak to Thompson and gather his desire to do the job, then lost him when they did as they did with Sanderson.

Perhaps they jumped the gun on several prospective coaches and will ultimately end up starting again with an untried coach.

It is difficult when you feel rudderless, it gets to be a little overwhelming when, as you say, you have no reasonable comeback or counter argument to run with.

Bottom line, you have to feel for Sanderson in all of this. I hope, and trust, he will get another gig somewhere soon.

I can't for the life of me believe that this situation would have been entered into lightly by the board though. There must have been some reason why the board lost faith in Sanderson and his ability to deliver the Club it's 3rd premiership, particularly when you factor in the obstacles he had to deal with which were beyond his control.

To risk going back to the open market like this after spending 3 years building structures around him, to basically chuck all that in the bin and start again - there must be more to the story than what is in the public domain.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:30 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:It is clearly becoming more apparent that the Sanderson sacking was a decision made with some haste.

I can't for the life of me believe that this situation would have been entered into lightly by the board though. There must have been some reason why the board lost faith in Sanderson and his ability to deliver the Club it's 3rd premiership, particularly when you factor in the obstacles he had to deal with which were beyond his control.

To risk going back to the open market like this after spending 3 years building structures around him, to basically chuck all that in the bin and start again - there must be more to the story than what is in the public domain.

My thoughts.

To avoid more media scrutiny post Tippet-gate, Chapman gave some half arsed excuse that they have "mutually" (love that word don't you) agreed to part ways. Bollocks- there is more to the story that we in the public will never be privy to.
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:36 pm

That's it valleys.

To go ahead and pull the trigger knowing full well the level of scrutiny and criticism that would be levelled at the club, and them personally too (particularly Chapman, he is on a hiding to nothing at the moment).

Keeping Sanderson was perceived by a board full of savvy operators to be worse option than all of that.

Nope, must be plenty more to it.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:40 pm

That's the kicker. The board must be of the opinion that keeping Sanderson was potentially more damaging than giving him the flick. Then they expect us to buy the "not player driven" line.

So if it was potentially catastrophic keeping him and it wasn't player driven, what was it?

For one minute think Dangerfield/Sloane said "Me or him"....then who is it?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:51 pm

My personal opinion (which is pure speculation) is that there was feedback from the playing group that couldn't be ignored in the end.

I don't think players would have offered an ultimatum, and I don't think it would have been player driven as such - but my guess is that enough players expressed displeasure or doubt in Sanderson's methods to make his position untenable. These opinions must have been echoed by key members of the administration/football department at the very least also (perhaps Noble?).

The only other plausible explanation in my mind for such a sudden dismissal is around Sanderson's personal conduct, something that shouldn't really be speculated about on a public forum like this in fairness to the poor bloke.

Actually there is a third which Booney has touched on, and that is that the Club has/had a 'big fish' like Clarkson locked in - but this looks increasingly unlikely. If we get to the end of the week without an announcement we can pretty much rule this one out.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:25 pm

It is unfair to speculate on the conduct of Sanderson being a factor, but for us mug punters in the stands it's not unreasonable when you consider the reasons given and how much faith you have in the people delivering the message and the message itself.

One person I know within the organisation said to me that he/she "Wasn't surprised" by the sacking, which, well, surprised me! lol
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Booney wrote:It is unfair to speculate on the conduct of Sanderson being a factor, but for us mug punters in the stands it's not unreasonable when you consider the reasons given and how much faith you have in the people delivering the message and the message itself.

One person I know within the organisation said to me that he/she "Wasn't surprised" by the sacking, which, well, surprised me! lol

Yes, and it's not the first time I've heard that reaction.

The way that all involved have been united in their opinion that this was the best way forward for the Club has also surprised me. You would have thought that there would be a least some dissent amongst the ranks after such a reportedly 'good bloke' copped the axe.

Dangerfield for example stated on record earlier in the year that he would stay on as long as Sanderson was around so you would think he was a fan, and yet after the decision he was adamant it was the right one for the Club, and was happy to go on television and be questioned and state as much. That's a fair about face in the space of about 4 or 5 months.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:58 pm

everyone i talk to through work has 'the' reason why Sanderson was sacked, i don't believe any of those reasons for a minute, i'm not going to put what i've heard as it is unfair to Sanderson & indeed this forum & i'm sure others have heard the same reasons................i think they thought they had someone & found out later they didn't, as for Chapman this last few weeks i reckon Donald Duck would have performed with more professionalism than he has
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Recent events at the AFC speak volumes about why Chapman should have stood down from his position as President. Fagan talks about getting the right people into the right positions at the club then the Presidency needs to be looked at pretty closely after decisions made to extend contracts, then pay those out along with taking the club to trading week without a senior coach and no real idea of what the team structure and game plan is to be for next season.

My suspicion is that the AFC will likely sign Boulton up for the job because they cannot get Bomber Thomson who is likely the one they really want.

Personally I would suggest that if there is to be a genuine rebuilding phase, then Nathan Bassett might well be the man for the job. Whilst he may have only spent a single season in AFL Assistant Coaching, its my feeling that he is likely going to be the best fit for the AFC if they choose to go down the road of a Rookie Coach.

Alternatively, Guy McKenna may be another that they look at, had Gary Ablett not been injured they may well have finished higher on the ladder. I don't believe their problems are coaching related at GC.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:45 am

Some Crows supporters (not necessarily on here) are finally starting to point the finger at Chapman now that the number 1 scapegoat is gone. Staggering its taken this long.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:02 am

Mark Williams Ginge, what are your thoughts on him?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 am

Booney wrote:Mark Williams Ginge, what are your thoughts on him?

I think he would be spot on for what we need.

No doubt the oldies would choke on their apricot slice at the appointment, but IMO he would be primed for a Leigh Matthews style second bight of the cherry.

Been there and done it once, been at other clubs and seen how it's done, knows the Adelaide football fishbowl like the back of his hand, got fire in the belly and a point to prove to GWS and Port to a lesser extent, and has all the mongrel that Roo has repeatedly stated we lack.

Put the 'but he's a Williams' aside and sign him now I say.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:Mark Williams Ginge, what are your thoughts on him?

I think he would be spot on for what we need.

No doubt the oldies would choke on their apricot slice at the appointment, but IMO he would be primed for a Leigh Matthews style second bight of the cherry.

Been there and done it once, been at other clubs and seen how it's done, knows the Adelaide football fishbowl like the back of his hand, got fire in the belly and a point to prove to GWS and Port to a lesser extent, and has all the mongrel that Roo has repeatedly stated we lack.

Put the 'but he's a Williams' aside and sign him now I say.

Bays gave him a coaching gig about a month after he helped beat Glenelg in 1992 so it is possible & to be totally frank it wouldn't be the worst decision by a long way & after all they said they wanted ''a premiership coach''
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next