Paul
Gingernuts
testy
Lee
18 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Adelaide's New Coach - Who? - Page 2 Empty Re: Adelaide's New Coach - Who?

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 am

Booney wrote:I'd agree with you Ginge, if they had unveiled a ready made replacement immediately.

If they aren't able to get Clarkson, Worsfold or an established coach with a premiership back ground and end up with Dew, Burns ( who they could have had! ) or Sumich then it will reek of impulse decision making based on poor information.

Fagan, however, does look super impressive.

To us on the outside. The AFC has had a poor track record over the past few years so in a way they certainly deserve that sort of criticism.

This seems different to me though. There's more to it.

These people on the board aren't stupid. They didn't get to be leaders in their respective fields by making rash and ill informed decisions. They knew the level of scrutiny this decision would attract, and yet the pulled the trigger anyway. What's more all involved with the Club have backed it, there has been no one who has broken ranks to question it.

There must be a lot more to this decision than is out in the public domain. Has to be.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:39 am

A letter from Fagan to members sent late last week:

Dear Members,

As you are aware, our Club is now looking for a new Senior Coach.

The decision to head in a different direction is part of an ongoing review of our entire football program, which is being overseen by Chairman Rob Chapman, Board Directors Mark Ricciuto and Andrew Payze, and Head of Football David Noble.

While not involved in the decision earlier this week, I have been fully briefed.

I will now be part of all future planning and decision making.

As I said at my first media conference, we need to put the right people in the right seats, and develop the best football program in the AFL.

That involves conducting an exhaustive and nationwide search for our next coach. I will give you regular updates on the process where possible.

Make no mistake, we will be ruthless as we strive to realise our ambition of being the most successful and respected football club in the country.

I would also like to thank Brenton Sanderson for his effort and commitment in the past three years. We wish him every success.

I am currently in Sydney finishing up my responsibilities at Australian Rugby Union.
I can’t wait to be on the ground in Adelaide from early October.

There is no doubt our Club has a very passionate and loyal fan base, and I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible in coming months.

Thanks for your support.

Andrew Fagan
Chief Executive Officer

Hard not to like this bloke already. One week and he's making statements like this.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:00 am

That's from chapter one of "Corporate talk - How to impress". Every new CEO would roll out the same cods wallop.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:09 am

Yea maybe.

In these dark times I have to find something to pin my hopes on though.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 am

Dark times? I'll swap last weekend with you......

( Got home after the SANFL GF to Mrs.Boon's new "haircut" to which I made no new friends when I was asked if I liked it and then stepped in dog **** when I went outside. )

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:36 am

I'd gladly swap the football related situation with you.

The others .... not so much. Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:36 am

C'mon Booney, saying new hairstyles are wonderful is Husband #101.

The dog crap was karma Very Happy
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:45 am

I'll say it's wonderful when it's wonderful. Not the sugar coating kind of guy.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Booney wrote:I'll say it's wonderful when it's wonderful.  Not the sugar coating kind of guy.
Hope you have a comfy couch! Very Happy
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Ricciuto on the search for a coach:

Meanwhile, Ricciuto insisted the Crows "didn't pull the trigger too early" on Sanderson, despite admitting the Club wasn't 100 per cent sure of Simon Goodwin's status at the time.

Goodwin agreed to terms with Melbourne to become Paul Roos' successor the very next day.

"There's more coaches out there than Simon Goodwin, we don't need an ex-Adelaide guy to coach the Adelaide Football Club.

"There's other guys that have been out there (who) have been looking to be a head coach for a while and some that have done it before.

Ricciuto said the board's focus was on the structure of the entire football department and not just the coach.

"It's about the whole footy department now, it's not about one man. One man can't do the job anymore. It's a number of blokes that have got to lead the footy club," he said.

All perfectly sensible. Bolded the bit about Goodwin as I agree whole heartedly with that statement.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:32 pm

I thought Chapman said they were after a Premiership Coach, yet Roo notes it might be someone who has been looking to be a head coach for a while....( or indeed,yes, someone who has done it before )?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:41 pm

That was an interesting comment from Chapman I must admit, it did get my attention.

It made me thing either they have someone lined up, or it was just a slip of the tongue (i.e. meant a coach who could win us a premiership).

Really there are two scenarios:
a) they have someone lined up at either Hawthorn or Sydney, and are just laying down a smoke screen until they can make an announcement, or;
b) they are genuinely in the open market and are trying to bluff their way around the heavy criticism they are coping at the moment.

Gees I hope it's column a. Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:46 pm

If they are at b) the open market, even the likes of Burns, Sumich, Dew etc would be, you would think, hesitant to take the job.

"So, if I have one bad year do I get the ****?"
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:07 pm

i heard Clarksons' name 3 times throughout the day, i couldn't see it happening but i keep going back to Freo, so it is a possibility i suppose
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Clarkson just about has the best coaching job in Australia.
Why would you even consider leaving a club that has been a genuine premiership contender for 6 years?

If you trade that for a bucket of cash, then maybe that is for the wrong reasons.
And would Adelaide have a bucket of cash after paying out Sando and given the cap on Footy Dept spend these days.

You could also infer from Roo's comments that the assistants like Bickley, Camporeale and Clark etc are also in the line of fire.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:05 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Clarkson just about has the best coaching job in Australia.
Why would you even consider leaving a club that has been a genuine premiership contender for 6 years?

If you trade that for a bucket of cash, then maybe that is for the wrong reasons.
And would Adelaide have a bucket of cash after paying out Sando and given the cap on Footy Dept spend these days.

You could also infer from Roo's comments that the assistants like Bickley, Camporeale and Clark etc are also in the line of fire.

its was reported before sandersons sacking that Bickley and Camporeale were going
Bickley wants back in the media
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:49 am

Cheers,

More security there I guess.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Cheers,

More security there I guess.

hahaha like it chambo
Guess someone told me its better to leave before your sacked for being incompetent looks better on the resume!!

Can not believe Bone is spruking Roo god that sounds like Ron Fuller at south
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:

Clarkson just about has the best coaching job in Australia.

Yes and no.

Hodge ( 30 ), Mitchell ( 31 ), Lake ( 32 ), Burgoyne ( 31 ), Sewell ( 30 ), Hale ( 30 ), Gibson ( 30 ) and the likes of Lews, Roughead, Birchall all around 26-27.

Obviously they play off this Saturday, they will likely be in deep next year but the year after that, much like Geelong, they will lose a core of very important players. As Geelong have done, they renewed their list, but clearly Geelong will dip a little now before they rise again, it simply is impossible to stay at the top forever.

So Hawthorn, since winning in 2008 and been 9th in 09, 7th '10, 3rd '11,2nd '12, 1st '13, now 1st or 2nd in '14.

After 2015 you would think the window is shut, and with Sydney as strong as they are, Port coming, North coming and Fremantle and Geelong set to consolidate again next year this might be the Hawks last real crack.

Clarkson would surely have to entertain an offer. BIG offer, mind you.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:36 am

I should have posted this before I'm hearing ex Carlton coach Ratten if ive spelt his name right
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:22 am

Leigh Matthews !!!!!
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:52 am

Booney wrote:Yes and no.

Hodge ( 30 ), Mitchell ( 31 ), Lake ( 32 ), Burgoyne ( 31 ), Sewell ( 30 ), Hale ( 30 ), Gibson ( 30 ) and the likes of Lews, Roughead, Birchall all around 26-27.

Obviously they play off this Saturday, they will likely be in deep next year but the year after that, much like Geelong, they will lose a core of very important players. As Geelong have done, they renewed their list, but clearly Geelong will dip a little now before they rise again, it simply is impossible to stay at the top forever.

So Hawthorn, since winning in 2008 and been 9th in 09, 7th '10, 3rd '11,2nd '12, 1st '13, now 1st or 2nd in '14.

After 2015 you would think the window is shut, and with Sydney as strong as they are, Port coming, North coming and Fremantle and Geelong set to consolidate again next year this might be the Hawks last real crack.

Clarkson would surely have to entertain an offer. BIG offer, mind you.

I also think, with his health concerns this year, either a Senior Assistant gig or a 'succession' gig (i.e. Coach for 2 years while grooming someone else) would be very attractive to him.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:02 pm

The only thing that could potentially ( and always will be the case ) is moving into the fish bowl that is Adelaide.

With his Centrals and Port knowledge in hand it may not be what he wants at this point in his career.

Having said that, people like this are driven by being challenged.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm not getting my hopes up to be honest.

Adelaide are always linked to big names, whether they be coaches or players, but rarely jag one.

Betts was a reasonable get last year, but not in the class I'm referring to.

In fact, I think this constant rejection has worked it's way into the psyche of the Club now. People talk about the obvious costs of the Tippett defection, but I think by far the biggest was the psychological/cultural effect that it had on the Club.

For someone to do that just when the Club seemed to be on the brink of sustained success just punched all the wind out of the sails, and any momentum gained in 2012 was lost in an instant.

The bottom line is I think a big signing would be a massive step in getting the Club culture and psyche back on track. Jeremy Cameron, Alistair Clarkson etc..

We need to believe that we are a good, strong, successful Club again, and someone like Jeremy Cameron or Alistair Clarkson putting their hand up to say 'yes, I want to go to the AFC' would be the massive shot in the arm we so desperately need right now.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 pm

We managed to keep Boak, Trengove and Wines. With that the stability and confidence to seek out and get Monfries, Polec and White came.

Get the signatures of Danger, Sloane and Walker then start talking about stability and future riches. The man leading this, the front man if you will whether he likes it or not is Dangerfield.

Get him to sign and I'm sure good things would follow. Without his name on the line coaches will be wary at best.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next