Finals Week 2 - Freo v Port - Subiaco Sat Night

+3
Paul
bayman
Gingernuts
7 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Finals Week 2 - Freo v Port - Subiaco Sat Night Empty Finals Week 2 - Freo v Port - Subiaco Sat Night

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:28 pm

Not much love for this game so far this week!

Tough one to pick, sides very evenly matched. Can Port learn from a couple of weeks ago and progress to a preliminary final?

Discuss.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Finals Week 2 - Freo v Port - Subiaco Sat Night Empty Re: Finals Week 2 - Freo v Port - Subiaco Sat Night

Post by bayman Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:44 pm

although surprisingly not in the thread title, i'll suggest Geelong by over 5 goals & Port to win in extra time by 7 points
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Finals Week 2 - Freo v Port - Subiaco Sat Night Empty Re: Finals Week 2 - Freo v Port - Subiaco Sat Night

Post by Paul Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Port by 54
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:14 am

I've had a good feeling about this one all week.

I don't have the time to put into my typical write up ( Oh no, I hear you all say Very Happy ) and I'll look at just a couple of match ups.

Nat Fyfe - I think the skipper Travis Boak will try and go to Nat Fyfe ( I think Crowley will go to Gray ) and try and expose Fyfe by hitting the scoreboard.

Matt Pavlich - I think the mobile Jonas will take Pav, leaving Trengove to play as the extra tall/third man up and give Lobbe more help in the ruck against the giant Sandilands. This helps Port two fold.

Lachie Neale - He'll get the attention of Kane Cornes. Neale isn't super quick or a marking target like Barlow and Fyfe. Neale will be in for a long day.

Now, obviously Fremantle have more players who pose a threat to Port but I think these three will very much be the focus of Port Adelaide's defensive structure.

I'll leave my teeth at home tomorrow night, find a shoe on my walk around to the club and try and find someone to buy me a beer and a bus ticket with, I expect, plenty of other Port fans at Alberton Oval tomorrow night.

Should be a good atmosphere with the club catering for/expecting 3-4000 to watch the match on the hallowed turf of Alberton Oval.

Like I said, a good feeling about this one, Port to defy the odds and be the first elimination final winner in 8 years to progress to a Preliminary final.

Port by 11 points.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:16 am

re your last line Booney, think North Melbourne will beat you by 24 hours. Wink
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Im a neutral supporter at AFL level but seriously cannot wait for this game. Fremantle at home are a beast and Fyfe's return is massive, but they have some holes and queries about them. Port play the most electrifying footy in the competition when allowed and are high on confidence.

My thoughts:

- Crowley to stick with Boak. Has kept him below his average disposals in their last 5 meetings, stick with it initially.
- Pavlich - Don't think Jonas is tall enough. Think Carlisle probably gets first crack, although Pavlich did lose him a bit a few weeks ago. Can't see Freo winning without 5 or more from the great man.

I expect some fireworks in this game too, wouldn't be surprised to see the Fremantle players try and batter someone like Wingard.

Ultimately though, I think their recent visit to Perth coupled with good form, can get Port through. Port by 8 points.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:06 pm

I think the fact that Port only played their a fortnight ago will also help their cause. They would be very well prepared for this game.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Question for the Port fans - if Port get knocked out this weekend would you regard the year as a failure given that it would be the same result as last year?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 pm

In a word, no.

We've maintained our position on the ladder and albeit after a ripping start the loss of Trengove and Carlile mid year for an extended period means we were up against it for several weeks, coupled with the season ending injuries to ruckmen Redden and Renouf and young running defender Colquhoun who was in our side that beat Collingwood and lost to Geelong last September. In essence, Redden and Colquhoun would be in our best 22 and the loss of Trengove and Carlile meant 4 of our best 22 missed solid portions or all of the year. The talk of no injuries at Alberton was rubbish.

Polec, White, Boak, Monfries, Wingard, Moore, Trengove, Carlile and Hartlett all missed at least one game, some two, some more. Since the Melbourne game in Alice Springs we were not settled again until round 21. Thats 9 weeks of ins and outs and an unsettling run.

Most would see Port as a side on the up, young list with plenty in front of it. I would say last year we exceeded everyones expectations and this year, playing as one of the last 6 sides is on par for where this group is at.

However, anything less ( already ) than a top 4 finish next year would be unders.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Question for the Port fans - if Port get knocked out this weekend would you regard the year as a failure given that it would be the same result as last year?
Not a Power fan, but it would be a definite no for mine. There were many outside of Alberton that believed they overachieved last year, to the point that most experts didn't even tip them to finish in the 8 this season.
The fact that such a young squad has backed it up gives them a massive, massive launchpad. And that's just the onfield component. Off the field they've kicked more goals than Jay Schultz and are shaping as being the powerful club that Port were for so long. Their finances are not only stable but increasing, their membership and attendance is through the roof, they are strong at retaining wanted players and attracting quality recruits. It's amazing to think they have the potential to become a powerhouse club (if not already) from where they were 2-3 years ago. It really is staggering (and admirable imho).
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:45 pm

No worries, agree with both your thoughts, but just thought I'd throw it out there for a bit of discussion.

Next year it will be very interesting to see you Port deals with the pressure of expectation, something their cross town rivals have failed dismally at over the last couple of years.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Booney wrote:In a word, no.

We've maintained our position on the ladder and albeit after a ripping start the loss of Trengove and Carlile mid year for an extended period means we were up against it for several weeks, coupled with the season ending injuries to ruckmen Redden and Renouf and young running defender Colquhoun who was in our side that beat Collingwood and lost to Geelong last September. In essence, Redden and Colquhoun would be in our best 22 and the loss of Trengove and Carlile meant 4 of our best 22 missed solid portions or all of the year. The talk of no injuries at Alberton was rubbish.

Polec, White, Boak, Monfries, Wingard, Moore, Trengove, Carlile and Hartlett all missed at least one game, some two, some more. Since the Melbourne game in Alice Springs we were not settled again until round 21. Thats 9 weeks of ins and outs and an unsettling run.

Most would see Port as a side on the up, young list with plenty in front of it. I would say last year we exceeded everyones expectations and this year, playing as one of the last 6 sides is on par for where this group is at.

However, anything less ( already ) than a top 4 finish next year would be unders.

My thoughts too.
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Question for the Port fans - if Port get knocked out this weekend would you regard the year as a failure given that it would be the same result as last year?

They'd have to surely? They exist to win premierships Razz
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by SPROUTY Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Name a side that has been settled ie no ins or outs for the last 9 weeks.

Injuries aren't an excuse as every team has them. If you can't cover them with depth then your squad is not good enough.

I would think they would have been disappointed in not finishing in the top 4 and not having a home final. Especially given their start to the year.
SPROUTY
SPROUTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:43 pm

SPROUTY wrote:Name a side that has been settled ie no ins or outs for the last 9 weeks.

Injuries aren't an excuse as every team has them. If you can't cover them with depth then your squad is not good enough.

I would think they would have been disappointed in not finishing in the top 4 and not having a home final. Especially given their start to the year.

Well, that's exactly what I said, with the loss of the players I mentioned top 6 is a reflection of where this group is at at the moment.

Given a back up ruckman and more games into our core group of brilliant young kids in Wingard, Wines, Neade, Polec etc then 6th is about right with likely improvement next year.

Who do you follow, "Sprouty"?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by SPROUTY Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Adelaide Booney.

I would think no progression on last year would be a failure. Especially given you were top and 2 games clear halfway through. You have had the horror situation that 9 players have miss a game possibly 2.
SPROUTY
SPROUTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:17 am

You beauty!
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:05 am

Booney wrote:You beauty!

never in doubt my friend
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down