C.K
Lee
testy
13 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Trotting Empty Trotting

Post by testy Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 pm

I ventured out to Globe Derby Park on Saturday night, the second time this year and came to the conclusion that the whole place is looking very dated, old, and tired. Sadly I think it needs to be pulled down and rebuilt to come into the 21st century, unfortunately money is needed to do this of which the SATC don't have.

I remember going to the first meeting held there after they left Wayville in 1973 along with about 10,000 others trotting fans and was amazed to see this new complex and huge track (compared to Wayville) and was a regular for about 6 years until I came under the spell of my now wife.

Those days are long gone I know and so are those sorts of crowds with the number out ther on Sat. night around 500, 1 bookie, very small fields and most favourites to short to back.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Trotting Empty Re: Trotting

Post by Lee Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:52 pm

I think I'm correct, testy, in recalling that Reichmann won the main event on the firstnight.

After years of watching at Wayville, everyone was amazed that a horse could win from well back on the turn.

We were also amazed that a mile rate (then) of less than 2.10 was common Shocked
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:16 pm

I used to go to Globe Derby many Saturday nights around 10-12 years ago, when a good mate owned a number of pacers, and the place was a great atmosphere, with plenty of bookies, good crowds and competitive racing, with good catering also.

Went there late last year for a function and was amazed at the change in the place. The meal (Smorgasboard) was excellent, but crowds right down to mainly diehards and the odd group of younger fans; racing that was pedestrian and predictable and little real atmosphere.

They desperately need to target the next generation, and that might be to open a nightclub there on Saturday nights after the racing, or bring top local bands there to play afterwards, with free admission also. At the moment, the place is dying as an entertainment option for under-40's.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 pm

''They desperately need to target the next generation, and that might be to open a nightclub there on Saturday nights after the racing, or bring top local bands there to play afterwards, with free admission also. At the moment, the place is dying as an entertainment option for under-40's.''

C.K, this has been tried before, i decided to stay home last week & watch the trots & cricket on tv, the food is generally good (one bad meal in the thousands that i've eaten), as for one bookie i'll tell you why there is no 'mug money' at the trots where there is at the gallops (hence 15-20 bookies), most of the pro punters are betting with the corporates/betfair & 3 totes at home rather than go to the trots, although a couple do take their laptops with them to the track, as for the 'age of the place' well maybe but it is just a racecourse, the racing generally imho has been keenly contested in the last 12 months or so & the times have been very good, this week we'll head to the cricket but will be at Kapunda on sunday & back to GDP the week after

ps, the r1 f4 at albion pk last week was ok Cool Cool

bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:01 pm

redandblack wrote:I think I'm correct, testy, in recalling that Reichmann won the main event on the firstnight.

After years of watching at Wayville, everyone was amazed that a horse could win from well back on the turn.

We were also amazed that a mile rate (then) of less than 2.10 was common Shocked

I do recall reichman running that night r&b, he had just won that year's (1973) miracle mile, he was a great horse. Yes mile rates have certainly come down since then with fast class horses now running 1.55 or even better.

Bayman and r&b and anyone else who cares, what is your tip to win the inter dominion in Perth ?
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:14 pm

only 2 horses can win it (the obvious two), i'd think smokenup because being off the front it'll end up in front, the only horse capable of causing an upset is crombie, i don't rate auckland reactor & raglan would only be a place prospect, mr feelgood not racing well enough for mine...............................................tatts is betting $1.48 place only smokenup for the final & that is a gift

as for mile rates i remember when 2.14 was a good run at kadina
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Friday night's final field of the pacer's inter dominion

1..I'm Themightyquinn......$1.90
2..Smoken up.................$3.75
3..Auckland Reactor........$6.00
4..Mr. Feelgood..............$7.50
5..Raglan......................$17.00
6..Crombie....................$21.00
7..Dasher Vc (2E)..........$26.00
8..Lombo Navigator........$51.00
9..Cromac Johnny (1E)...$71.00
10..Mysta Magical Mac $101.00
11..Can Return Fire........$201.00
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:23 pm

For what its worth, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Auckland Reactor take it out if there is a speed war up front with the two favorites, and AR sweeps from the tail.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

testy, who is your avatar?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:47 pm

A very famous Australian racehorse R&B, not long retired. Any guesses ?
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:51 pm

I don't follow them much now, testy.

Thoroughbred?

If so, a triple Melbourne Cup winner?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 pm

i can confirm that the 'stand starts' (the turn & go) they have in Adelaide will be reverted back to the original & traditional standing starts at the end of march..............as for the inter & given the draw i now think Mr Feelgood is a genuine place chance, i believe it'll be Smokenup, Immamightyquinn & Mr Feelgood & given the draw the pole has a hope of splitting them

ps, Hall wont have a war with Justice, until the last lap anyway Wink
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:19 am

redandblack wrote:I don't follow them much now, testy.

Thoroughbred?

If so, a triple Melbourne Cup winner?

At first glance, I thought that was Apache Cat.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:30 pm

My Avatar is Takeover Target R&B. I took the photo when he raced and won his last race at Morphettville in 2009.

For the final of the Inter Dominion tonight, which by the way is the last one ever to be run under the current conditions Evil or Very Mad I will tip the favourite Imthemightyquinn, but I think Smoken up will be close by. Whatever happens in the race you wouldn't want to be caught on the fence because there ain't know sprint lane at Gloucester Park.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:24 pm

testy, if they & they will come home in say 56 i wouldn't want to be anywhere but the fence, i think MR. Feelgood will be happy to hand up to Smokenup & guarentee itself place money & i think Lombo Navigator will ease & get behind the pole to give it the chance to rail through for fourth with a rough hope of third...my numbers are 6-7-1-2

ps, i'll bet apart from the favourite (if he hasn't gone to the electric chair earlier) nothing out wide will make up ground over the last 400 metres of the race
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 pm

as i mentioned last sunday regarding the 'stand starts' has now been confirmed..................& about bloody time too

02 March 2012
by Mr Stephen Mulcay, Chairman of Stewards
Logo

Effective from Friday 30th March 2012.

At the HRSA Ltd Board’s recent meeting, it was decided to dispense with the current system of Vault Starts and revert to the previous format of orthodox Standing Starts using barrier strands.

This change will take effect FRIDAY 30 MARCH at the Kadina Harness Racing Club’s Cup meeting at Port Pirie as standing starts at this venue in particular have been a problem due to the lack of room if there is a full row off the one mark.

To enable Trainers to get their horses accustomed to the new format, there will be barrier practice available on Wednesday mornings after the mobile practice session and also qualifying trials to be held on Sunday mornings.

In arriving at this decision, the Board were mindful of the strong industry support for the re-introduction of the orthodox standing starts and also that although Vault Starts have operated well where field sizes allowed, basically our track widths in SA are simply not sufficient to ensure that all runners received a fair start on every occasion.

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:24 am

Final results of 2012 Inter Dominion Final

1st Im Themightyquinn
2nd Mysta Magical Mach
3rd Lombo Navigator

Unfortunately for the second favourite Smoken Up he galloped on the first turn trying to get to the lead. By the time he got pacing again he was 30 metres from the field.
A terrific win by the home town hero who came home like the wind 5 deep around the final turn.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:48 pm

A good result for the trainer and connections of Lombo Navigator also.
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Bayman, I was wondering what has become of this year's SA Derby winner. I think his name is "The Night Pearl", I haven't heard of him since winning this race back at the start of the year.

I thought being a regular trotting attendee you may be able to answer this for me . cheers.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:35 pm

This is the site for The Night Pearls lifetime races it's last race was on the 1st of june the EMPIRE VICBRED 3YO C&G i presume it is out for a spell

http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/reports/start.cfm?horse_id=575212

then type in THE NIGHT PEARL in general search then select the horse next select up the top the bottom middle tag 'Horse Racing Performance' and you get the site
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks for that, I'll check that out.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:19 am

Disappointing to hear that last night's trotting meeting at Globe Derby had to be called of after just 2 races had been run because of the state of the track.

Just 5mm of rain was recorded in the area, yes 5mm, and apparently the track turned to shite.
This is nothing short of disgraceful that the premier trotting track in this state can't take what amounts to a heavy shower (5mm's). This only highlights what many have been saying about Globe Derby that the whole place needs to be levelled and built again, of course this will be very costly and I don't know where those funds will come from, but somebody in charge needs to make some decisions very soon on its future.
Most of the facilities at GD are in urgent need of maintenance which has been let go for far too long.

testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:30 am

I had the pleasure of sitting with Johnny Lewis trainer of Carclew inter winner at a nursing home about 5yrs ago spoke for about 2 hours about trots was absolutely fantastic told me he knew Carclew would win and told me the odds 33/1 was ridiculous but friends made some money.We used to go to days road Sunday training runs used to help Jackie Sandilands with his trotters he was a rough diamond.Always went to Wayville and Gawler trots when
Globe derby started went there from the first night i think Wimmera Belle won about the first 4 weeks in a row.
Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:39 am

I still remember Mount Eden winning the Miracle Mile i think in Perth it broke at the start lost heaps of ground but come home with a storming run down the straight to take the honours.One of the best.MY favouries Katangie, Bon adios, Adios Court,Paleface Adios and balos de sire.
Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 am

I was the same with Wayville and Globe Derby years ago, Bundy.

What was the name of Jackie Sandilands best trotter?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum