SANFL and the draft

5 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

SANFL and the draft Empty SANFL and the draft

Post by Lee Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:43 pm

I think the figures were something like 18 SA juniors and 74 Victorians were drafted or rookied.

Whatever they were, there was a massive difference between the two figures. Given SA have won the last two championships, yet less than half were drafted while one TAC team had 12 players drafted, one question stands out.

Why?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

SANFL and the draft Empty Re: SANFL and the draft

Post by Booney Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Clearly the TAC Cup is seen as a superior competition to the SANFL U18's comp.

When you look more closely, I'd say a good portion of SA's stand outs weren't even playing U18's, they had progressed to reserve or league level in senior SANFL ranks, futher depleting the view of the SANFL U18's.

It's not because the scouts don't watch it or see enough of the games, I'd say it's because they don't rate the level of competition.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:53 am

In drafting I suspect that its not all about current form, but capacity to have better form that is looked at. A friend of ours has been made an offer of scholarship if thier daughter joins the olympic rowing squad. Their daughter has never rowed a boat in her life - yet has met the criteria that they are looking for under sports science testing. My suspicion would be that AFL would be moving in the same way.

Still, its probably a good time for the U18 comp to be looked at in format, I like the idea of a naming sponsor and I like the idea of playing all matches on the same day with perhaps some U18 matches being trialed after the SANFL match has ended and the kids have been out for a kick of the footy in the break.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Interestingly enough though I think the interstate sides are very good at using the rookie list to 'hide' local gems that Vic based clubs have overlooked.

I could be wrong but it seems that a lot of rookies that go on to have solid careers seem to come from interstate, particularly SA & WA.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:14 pm

I think the population of the different states has more to do with why more are picked up from the TAC competition rather than the competions run in SA or WA.

More players come out of larger populated areas.

I also think the under 18 competition in this state is thought of very highly by powers that be.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down