2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5)

+12
the prowler
testy
The Hatchet
Flag No.10
Paul
BloodnTars
Brucetiki
bayman
lachlan
Lee
Thiele
Big Phil
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5) Empty 2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5)

Post by Big Phil Mon May 12, 2014 1:40 pm

The 2014 SANFL State Squad has been announced...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2483/

Pride and passion for the SANFL has weighed heavily in the selection process of the first West End State squad to face the VFL on May 31.

With the SANFL set to tackle its arch-rival for the first time since 2008, chairman of selectors Stephen Rowe revealed those who ‘’love this state’’ were chosen in the 31-man squad to play at TEAC Oval in Port Melbourne.

‘’There’s a bit of history and responsibility that goes with rivalry,’’ Rowe said.

‘’(West End State coach) Michael Godden certainly understands that responsibility so me, as the chairman of selectors, wants to pick a team which is going to play with absolute passion for the jumper.

‘’We have picked some good local talent and we will pick a good team that will play on a small deck, made up of real competitors who love this state.

‘’There is a real air of excitement about this big clash. As SANFL lovers, as we all are, this is such an important game so it’s great we have such passionate players.’’

Each SANFL club has at least one representative in the initial squad, with Woodville-West Torrens leading the way with five players selected while Central, North, Sturt, South and West each have four players included.

AFL-listed players, including rookies, were ineligible to be selected with the captains of Adelaide (Ian Callinan) and Port Adelaide (Steven Summerton) certain to add plenty of class to the midfield.

‘’I am absolutely stoked that Ian Callinan wants to play,’’ Rowe said.

‘’We’ve also rewarded a lot of the guys who played last year like (Joel) Cross, (James) Boyd, (Chris) Schmidt and (Nick) Liddle in the midfield and (Jon) Beechy and (Michael) Wundke up forward.

‘’Our real issue has been the back six as we’ve lost some key players from last year.’’

The three tall defenders from last year’s West End State team have all departed the SANFL, with Ryan Ferguson playing in the VFL with Williamstown and Alex Georgiou (Melbourne) and Joel
Tippett (North Melbourne) now on AFL lists.

This leaves North Adelaide co-captain Todd Miles and Sturt recruit Kory Beard as the likely replacements but Rowe hasn’t ruled out adding more players to the squad before it is finalised in the week leading up to the match.

‘’There will be injury and form issues which arise,’’ Rowe said.

‘’We have picked guys a little bit on reputation, whose form isn’t special, backing them in over the next three weeks.

‘’There’s a spot in the backline for Tom Keough at Westies if he keeps his form up, as there is for a mature Benny Kane on the wing. We’ve also got our eyes on young Ben Hansen at Sturt, Sam
Baulderstone and Brady Dawe at Norwood, Jake Veide at South and little Lachie McGregor at the Eagles.’’

Like last year, Rowe confirmed all players had been picked to perform a specific role, such as Bulldog Jarrod Schiller looming as the most likely to be the SANFL’s run-with player.
‘’Godsy (Godden) defines 22 roles,’’ Rowe said.

‘’So if you are the best small defender, you are the best small defender. Or if you are the best small crumbing forward, you are the best small crumbing forward.

‘’We are picking a team with 22 roles which will then come together and play a brand that Godsy wants.’’

Aside from Rowe and Woodville-West Torrens mentor Godden, the selection panel included assistant coaches Tony Bamford (South), Jarrod Cotton (Adelaide) and Matt Lokan (Glenelg).

The West End State squad will begin training at AAMI Stadium from 6pm on Tuesday with further sessions scheduled at West Lakes for May 20, 26 and 28 before the team trains in Melbourne on May 30.

WEST END STATE SQUAD
Ian Callinan (Adelaide)
Jarrod Schiller (Central)
Luke Habel (Central)
Paul Thomas (Central)
Tim McIntyre (Central)
Ruory Kirkby (Glenelg)
Jay Shannon (North)
Leigh Ryswyk (North)
Matt Campbell (North)
Todd Miles (North)
Jace Bode (Norwood)
Matthew Panos (Norwood)
Simon Phillips (Norwood)
Steven Summerton (Port)
Brett Eddy (South)
Joel Cross (South)
Keegan Brooksby (South)
Nick Liddle (South)
Kory Beard (Sturt)
Michael Coad (Sturt)
Zane Kirkwood (Sturt)
Richard Tambling (Sturt)
Chris Schmidt (West)
Daniel Caire (West)
Daniel Webb (West)
Jonathon Beech (West)
James Boyd (Woodville-West Torrens)
Luke Jarrad (Woodville-West Torrens)
Luke Powell (Woodville-West Torrens)
Matthew Goldsworthy (Woodville-West Torrens)
Michael Wundke (Woodville-West Torrens)
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5) Empty Re: 2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5)

Post by Thiele Mon May 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Good luck. I hope Tom Keough get a go
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5) Empty Re: 2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5)

Post by Big Phil Mon May 12, 2014 7:43 pm

A tad surprised that Josh Glenn from Central not in the initial squad...

As Rowey eluded to though, with Keough at West, players can still be added to the squad should their form warrant it...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon May 12, 2014 8:15 pm

If they're looking for key defenders, Adam Hartlett is in career best form.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Mon May 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Adam Hartlett certainly in career best form. I really hope he continues to play good consistent footy for the rest of the year.
Great to see Tom Keough being mentioned he has really stepped up and performed
In every match since being moved to Full Back.
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

There is an article on FOOT-e TIMES that shows the release of the VFL Squad, with a couple of familiar names in the initial Big V squad...

http://footetimes.com/peter-jackson-vfl-state-squad-announced/
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 pm

does anyone know what time (Vic time) the game starts ?

the young bloke wants to go so if everything can be arranged i might let him fly over by himself & meet one of my mates over there (presuming it is ok with him)
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu May 15, 2014 7:10 am

bayman wrote:does anyone know what time (Vic time) the game starts ?

the young bloke wants to go so if everything can be arranged i might let him fly over by himself & meet one of my mates over there (presuming it is ok with him)

1:10pm EST I believe.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Just had a crack at naming a side from the squad picked

F: Wundke Eddy Goldsworthy
HF: Liddle Coad Beech
C: Kirkwood Summerton Cross
HB: Thomas (c) Miles Campbell
B: Caire Beard Bode
R: Brooksby Schmidt (vc) Boyd
Int: Webb Schiller Shannon Jarrad

1st thing I noticed was lack of key position players. Really would like 1 extra down back (whether Keough comes in from outside the squad or Coad goes back meaning Kirkby plays) Webb plays despite not being state footy ready as there is no back up for Brooksby (can't believe Kurtze isn't in the squad). He can also play forward if Coad has to go back. Tambling and Habel are probably the 2 unlucky ones IMO.

Anyone else willing to have a go?

Last edited by BloodnTars on Thu May 15, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu May 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Kurtze is apparently unavailable for the match and also Sturt's match against Central due to a mate's wedding in America.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Ben Hansen, Sam Baulderstone, Andrew Ainger and Tom Collier added to the squad today.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed May 21, 2014 9:02 pm

BloodnTars wrote:Just had a crack at naming a side from the squad picked

F: Wundke Eddy Goldsworthy
HF: Liddle Coad Beech
C: Kirkwood Summerton Cross
HB: Thomas (c) Miles Campbell
B: Caire Beard Bode
R: Brooksby Schmidt (vc) Boyd
Int: Webb Schiller Shannon Jarrad

1st thing I noticed was lack of key position players. Really would like 1 extra down back (whether Keough comes in from outside the squad or Coad goes back meaning Kirkby plays) Webb plays despite not being state footy ready as there is no back up for Brooksby (can't believe Kurtze isn't in the squad). He can also play forward if Coad has to go back. Tambling and Habel are probably the 2 unlucky ones IMO.

Anyone else willing to have a go?

Kirkby is going overseas so i don't think he'll be playing anyway
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed May 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
bayman wrote:does anyone know what time (Vic time) the game starts ?

1:10pm EST I believe.

thank you
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri May 23, 2014 1:26 am

Good news, for those interested, in that ABC TV Victoria will be sending next weekend's game across to Adelaide, with the coverage - hosted by Neil Cross - on Channel 2 at 12:30pm (SA time).
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 am

Big Phil wrote:Good news, for those interested, in that ABC TV Victoria will be sending next weekend's game across to Adelaide, with the coverage - hosted by Neil Cross -  on Channel 2 at 12:30pm (SA time).

great that one of the old abc blokes back on tv, even if  just for a week. pity to lose the rest of them, none of them will get a gig back on the box with seven.
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri May 23, 2014 9:47 am

The Hatchet wrote:
Big Phil wrote:Good news, for those interested, in that ABC TV Victoria will be sending next weekend's game across to Adelaide, with the coverage - hosted by Neil Cross -  on Channel 2 at 12:30pm (SA time).

great that one of the old abc blokes back on tv, even if  just for a week. pity to lose the rest of them, none of them will get a gig back on the box with seven.
Never say never, Hatchet. I think a straight swap with Chris Kendall and Tom Wilson on the Boundary would be a good start...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri May 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Of course it would be too much for 7 to do  Twisted Evil , well done to the former telecasters of the SANFL.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 am

Big Phil wrote:
The Hatchet wrote:

Never say never, Hatchet. I think a straight swap with Chris Kendall and Tom Wilson on the Boundary would be a good start...

surely you would be in the box seat there big fella, your boundary interviews on the sanfl site each week would be noticed.
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon May 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Big Phil wrote:Never say never, Hatchet. I think a straight swap with Chris Kendall and Tom Wilson on the Boundary would be a good start...
The Hatchet wrote:surely you would be in the box seat there big fella, your boundary interviews on the sanfl site each week would be noticed.
Ahh... No, Hatchet...

Those boundary side interviews aren't done for the SANFL site, they are just a part of the radio coverage that, of recent times, have been thrown in to the Recovery Session vision...

For me, it is the old saying of 'a good head for radio', Hatchet. I'm not exactly built for television.

Chris Kendall would far and away be a better option. More knowledgeable of how the TV broadcasting side of things works and, more importantly, more deserving of another opportunity on the big screen.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon May 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Here is the final squad of 23 who will travel to Melbourne...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2507/

WEST END STATE SQUAD

Ian Callinan (Adelaide)
Jarrod Schiller (Central)
Luke Habel (Central)
Paul Thomas (Central)
Tim McIntyre (Central)
Jay Shannon (North)
Leigh Ryswyk (North)
Todd Miles (North)
Jace Bode (Norwood)
Steven Summerton (Port)
Brett Eddy (South)
Joel Cross (South)
Keegan Brooksby (South)
Nick Liddle (South)
Kory Beard (Sturt)
Michael Coad (Sturt)
Ben Hansen (Sturt)
Zane Kirkwood (Sturt)
Daniel Webb (West)
Jonathon Beech (West)
James Boyd (Woodville-West Torrens)
Luke Jarrad (Woodville-West Torrens)
Michael Wundke (Woodville-West Torrens)
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Mon May 26, 2014 9:02 pm

At first blush it looks a bit light on for tall defenders.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:At first blush it looks a bit light on for tall defenders.
Coad can play both ends, if need be...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 pm

But he was more of a "plus one" when played in defence wasn't he?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:At first blush it looks a bit light on for tall defenders.

it wont matter seeing it is supposed to be raining on Saturday & in fact most of the week in Melbourne
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Mon May 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Then why are we taking Eddy and Wundke?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum