Booney
Gingernuts
9 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Adelaide v Collingwood Empty Adelaide v Collingwood

Post by Gingernuts Mon May 12, 2014 9:36 am

Well,

It's high noon for Adelaide this Thursday night against the might of Collingwood.

Adelaide were utter filth against Melbourne a week and a half ago and in general have been far from convincing so far this year. They are playing like scared kids - scared of making a mistake, scared of getting dropped, scared of losing, scared that their teammates aren't good enough to win the footy in a contested situation. Selfish is another term that has been bandied around as well, and with good reason.

Word is they all coped a fair spray in the aftermath of last weeks game, and so they should have.

The question is - how will they respond? Will they defy the script and draw a line in the sand for a famous win at home? Or will they confirm what outsiders are saying, and supporters are fearing - that they are, in fact, an average footy side?

A couple of injuries will hurt with Lynch and Jaensch out, but their outs are offset by the return of some bloke called Taylor Walker and the undervalued Douglas. Rutten looks poised for a return as well at the expense of Luke Thompson given that Thompson lined up for the state league team and Rutten didn't, and Charlie Cameron could be a surprise inclusion after also being held out of the SANFL side at the weekend.

As a supporter I'll be hoping for a reversal of form, but my head says that the scale of reversal required is out of reach for Adelaide and I expect we could see another 10 goal loss coming up unfortunately.

Discuss away.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Adelaide v Collingwood Empty Re: Adelaide v Collingwood

Post by Booney Mon May 12, 2014 9:51 am

I didn't realise Taylor was his first name!  Wink 

Collingwood = pressure.

Adelaide = hasn't handled pressure at all.

I've got a feeling that the "please look away now" sign might go up.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 am

Gingernuts wrote:They are playing like scared kids - scared of making a mistake, scared of getting dropped, scared of losing, scared that their teammates aren't good enough to win the footy in a contested situation.

They're doing a good job there.

Leave it for a couple of days but I'm sensing a victory here and I'm not the most positive when it comes to tipping Adelaide.

We haven't beaten Collingwood since 2009.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon May 12, 2014 10:11 am

Booney wrote:I've got a feeling that the "please look away now" sign might go up.

That sign has got a fair work out already this year!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue May 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Charlie Cameron has been elevated to the senior list, fair chance he'll line up Thursday night. Will be interesting to see how he goes.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue May 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Jaensch also looks to have recovered from his rib situation, not a break as first thought.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Adelaide to lead at half time & get blown away in the second half
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 am

Johnston out for 6 weeks with a broken arm.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Wed May 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Adelaide's injury run is hurting them
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Is Cameron a future gun for the club
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 pm

How was that 19th man, Booney?  Wink 
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu May 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Two things.

That was a great performance.

It shows how embarrassed they should be with their last game.

Apart from that, I admire Dangerfield and the way he plays. Just fantastic.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Absolutely. Completely different team, and that is why as supporters we get so frustrated.

Cameron a handy debut, Tex was in the right places and moved well, although obviously still needs to find a bit of touch. Will be better for the run. Thought Brodie Martin did better than the dropped Reilly in his role off half back as well.

All in all a fantastic game, and hopefully they can use the win to really launch their season now.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 am

Unbelievable atmosphere - and the boys absolutely came out to play.

Against Melbourne, no one moved, no one put on any pressure, basically no one did anything. Last night the intensity was outstanding, the pressure enormous from our boys, Collingwood didn't know what hit them.  The silent fear in all our minds - can they keep this up for the whole game, and to their credit they did, I always had this feeling they were going to pull this one off.  

I think I am the only one in our footy tip comp who picked them ..lol.

Really great night, really great game, really great atmosphere - but gee pulling up for a Friday morning - not so good - and I don't drink, can only imagine how the ones who were putting a few away feel today !!!

Adelaide v Collingwood 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri May 16, 2014 11:53 am

sapaul wrote:How was that 19th man, Booney?  Wink 

They were good, at times. Strangely almost at a hush at the start of the last quarter though, which I found odd, but not surprising.

Adelaides cream rose to the top last night, Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson and Jacobs were all good in the midfield and that gave Jenkins, Podsiadly and Walker ( who moved well and looks fit and mobile ) plenty of opportunities.

Talia blanketed Cloke, Rutten has an impact and despite doing his best to keep Collingwood in it, Hartigan offered some resistance.

In the main though Adelaides tackling pressure won them the game and that must frustrate fans. Skills and form come and go but as coaches say there is no excuse for lacking endeavor.

Today is the day Sanderson could rip into them about the Melbourne game, where was half of that pressure in the Melbourne game?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri May 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Agree, the pressure was so obviously different that you had to wonder about the thought processes of footballers.

Much like the thought processes of all of us, I suppose, which is why nobody ever picks every winner every week  Neutral 

I can't remember Talia being towelled up? Even against Melbourne he did his job. Not the fastest bloke, perhaps, but the same for Rutten.

Brown looks a player and Brodie Martin is the interesting one. Often criticised, but I think he is a player if he was allowed to settle and perhaps that might happen now.

Adelaide's clearance work was exceptional last night and Cameron's debut was an eye-opener. A bonus on the playing side of things, but also a bonus for Crows fans to have an excitement machine type player.

Port have gone from misery to happiness with much the same core of players, but a different attitude.

It's all about attitude.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Cameron, much like Neade, will find top level football increasingly difficult and taxing being quite simply, so small.

Neade showed similar flashes of brilliance last year to Cameron last night, but I fear young Jake Neade is just too light to play at the top level. Time may change his physique enough to cope with the physical toll of AFL football, but it will be several seasons in the gym to get there. Cameron looks the same, although he showed alot of endeavor he was caught a couple of times clearly surprised at the pace of the game ( 1st game, who wouldn't be ) and had a couple of tackles shaken off, albeit the pressure he added was enough to impact on the play.

Adelaide fans should be asking Betts to do that stuff, he's the bloke on big money doing very little.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat May 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Booney wrote:despite doing his best to keep Collingwood in it, Hartigan offered some resistance.

Just on Hartigan, not the first time he has made bad mistakes especially in the first halfs but then got better. Just wondering if he has a nerve problem? Like takes him awhile to settle down?
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Wed May 21, 2014 12:55 pm

sapaul wrote:
Booney wrote:despite doing his best to keep Collingwood in it, Hartigan offered some resistance.

Just on Hartigan, not the first time he has made bad mistakes especially in the first halfs but then got better. Just wondering if he has a nerve problem? Like takes him awhile to settle down?

Could be sapaul- I do like both Sando and Hinkley's mantra to back their players in. Impey got left on Betts in the showdown despite having a first half to forget, obviously learnt alot from that game as his role on Ballantyne was absolutely first rate. Maybe belief in Hartigan will allow him to believe in his own ability, along with learning heaps each game, should see the slow starts eradicated.
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 pm

i called it & then still picked Collingwood  Embarassed yep i called that all we heard in the lead up to the Melbourne game is ''Collingwood on Thursday'' yes this may have been said mainly in the media & by the public ringing up talk back stations, yet i heard one player say he ''was looking forward to it'' & obviously despite what they say all players read papers, watch & listen to footy programs etc & are only human & to a certain extent take the eye of the immediate challenge, my comment is with no disrespect to Melbourne
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down