State of Origin

3 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

State of Origin Empty State of Origin

Post by Gingernuts Fri May 09, 2014 10:29 am

R&B's post in the SANFL history forum about the greatest SA team of all time got me thinking about the SOO concept again.

It's a crying shame we don't see that guernsey running around in it's purest form (i.e. as the team representing the best players from SA, not just the SANFL).

I know and understand the reasons why it's not played anymore - but I really think the SANFL is missing out on an opportunity here.

I have never understood why the SANFL doesn't still name an 'All-South Australian' team at the end of each season, in the same manner that the AFL names their all Australian team. A few of the potential benefits I can see:

- Players would still get the honour of being a 'five time All-South Australian' etc. in the same manner as players of previous generations;
- It would serve as a reminder of the SANFL and grassroots development that made those players what they are today;
- It would also remind people that state-based competition is still relevant and important to the development of the game;
- It would be a revenue stream for the SANFL with a ticketed event plus possible merchandise sales, a great way to get some return on the SANFL investment in those players over the years.

Interested to hear other peoples thoughts on it.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

State of Origin Empty Re: State of Origin

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed May 14, 2014 11:22 am

I was a long time supporter of State of Origin.

The only problem is that the highest crowd figures by far were Vic v SA games.

WA would kick up a stink if they were not included. Problem is neither South Australians nor Victorians care about the Sandgropers and it showed in numbers.

State of Origin works in NSW & Qld because realistically they focus only on those two states and nowhere else. Expansion teams are for TV $$$$ only.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:I was a long time supporter of State of Origin.

The only problem is that the highest crowd figures by far were Vic v SA games.

WA would kick up a stink if they were not included.  Problem is neither South Australians nor Victorians care about the Sandgropers and it showed in numbers.

State of Origin works in NSW & Qld because realistically they focus only on those two states and nowhere else.  Expansion teams are for TV $$$$ only.

it works for NSW & QLD because they can get picked to represent Australia in rugby league test matches, in footy perhaps you can get picked on an overseas junket to Ireland & play a game that means nothing
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri May 16, 2014 11:15 am

Yep, that too bayman.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west