Adelaide Hawk
Chambo Off To Work We Go
FOOTYfollower
Lee
C.K
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Top 50 SANFL players of all time - Page 2 Empty Re: The Top 50 SANFL players of all time

Post by Lee Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I think we'd all agree on Barrie Robran as number 1.

I like CK's recognition of Ken Farmer as 2. His record is extraordinary . Russell Ebert at 3 is also fine with me, but obviously Ebert and Farmer are interchangeable.

I also agree with you, Ff about Bob Hank being high up, alongf with Malcolm Blight. I saw Blight kick about 15 against West at Richmond when he was nearly finished. Freak.

Bagshaw at 10 is more realistic, IMO, than being higher.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The Top 50 SANFL players of all time - Page 2 Empty Re: The Top 50 SANFL players of all time

Post by burgerking Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 pm

reading the stats on Ken Farmer is nothing short of incredible, its almost like Bradman was to cricket as Ken Farmer was to full forwards.......

6.33 goals per game!!, over 1400 goals and over 100 per season for eleven seasons straight!!....that is just mind boggling!!...
burgerking
burgerking

My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 am

Yes, for mine Barrie Robran is number 1, Ken Farmer 2. They are the two most outstanding players in the history of the SANFL. After that, you could throw a very large blanket over about 20 players for third.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 am

Here's one from left-field.

Many wouldn't have heard of him, but where would Jack Broadstock rate?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:36 am

redandblack wrote:Here's one from left-field.

Many wouldn't have heard of him, but where would Jack Broadstock rate?

Broadstock is an interesting one. Had his career not been interrupted by WW2, he may well have achieved much greater than his statistics suggest. Only played the 65 games, so would just sneak in on qualification, but has been credited with being one of the earliest players to really use handball in an era where it was hardly seen. My overall feeling with the initial list was that there were a lot of intangibles with how good he COULD have been, to include him.

It's similar to how I marked Norwood's John Marriott, who I know many Norwood fans rate as a better ruckman than Bill Wedding. Over a nine year career, his output was stellar and was the youngest Magarey Medal winner at the time of his win. He retired at only 26, however, and while not having ever seen him play, many felt his best was potentially still in front of him, so its a little hard to judge him. That said, easily one of the top 3 ruckmen Norwood ever produced, IMHO.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Jack Broadstock played in Richmond's 1943 premiership side as well. For memory there was some doubt over him betting on footy matches, wasn't there?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:41 pm

I think that was one of his minor indiscretions, AH.

I've heard many stories about him from old West stalwarts and players.

One very prominent Victorian footballer decribed him as the most talented footballer he'd seen. It might have been Jack Dyer, I'll check.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Leaping Lindner Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 pm

When I was growing up and first getting into SANFL history every old timer I spoke to had Bob Hank as a better player than Lindsay Head. And I mean every!!! Make of that what you will. Also in the same vein many Old Port supporters (many not all) said Quinn was a better player than Ebert but I would still put Ebert as the Magpies best.
Snowy Hamilton would easily make the half back of the SANFL Team of last century. And I would have in the best 20 of the SANFL easily. But even his own club's history committee overlooked him until some guy on it keep hassling to get him inducted into the SANFL hall of fame. Wink

BTW for what it's worth I think this is overall a very good list. Most history is subject to retrospect and doing the best 50 is no small task.
Leaping Lindner
Leaping Lindner

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:When I was growing up and first getting into SANFL history every old timer I spoke to had Bob Hank as a better player than Lindsay Head. And I mean every!!! Make of that what you will. Also in the same vein many Old Port supporters (many not all) said Quinn was a better player than Ebert but I would still put Ebert as the Magpies best.
Snowy Hamilton would easily make the half back of the SANFL Team of last century. And I would have in the best 20 of the SANFL easily. But even his own club's history committee overlooked him until some guy on it keep hassling to get him inducted into the SANFL hall of fame. Wink

BTW for what it's worth I think this is overall a very good list. Most history is subject to retrospect and doing the best 50 is no small task.

I agree with everything you say Leaping Lindner.

I have a real problem wiith Gary Window being in the 50 in front of a lot of the stars of that era. Gary was by no means the worst footballer to win the Magarey Medal, but I doubt that he would have made the top 100 players ever to play in the SANFL. I know that I am biassed to North players, but Barrie Barbary was a much, much better footballer than Gary Window. Barbary played more games for the state than any other North player. When you consider the champions who have played for North and the state, that is quite an achievement. He won the Magarey Medal in a North premiership year. He won the O'Halloran Trophy as best player for SA in the win against Victoria at the MCG in 1963. To highlight how good a wingman he was, the state selectors used to play Ken Eustice on the half bank flank so that the first cousins, Cahill and Barbary could play on the wings for the state.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Jack Broadstock played in Richmond's 1943 premiership side as well. For memory there was some doubt over him betting on footy matches, wasn't there?

lets not speak ill off the dead Wink

i knew Jack because he was a regular at the track, he was a very nice & humble old man

as for your query well i've heard that story on numerous times over the years, how much truth is in it i don't know but remember back then they were war years so i'm sure you'd try & 'earn' everything you could
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:35 pm

I've spoken to players who were his team-mates and they all say he was what is kindly known as a 'character'.

From the stories I've heard, betting on matches was at the lower end of his 'interests' Wink
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:31 pm

Bump:......
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Well I'll begin by declaring my bias. I met Jim Deane several times and he was a gentleman and a great man to talk footy with and arguably Souths greatest ever player.
However , I never saw him play.
But I think a few of the following stats demonstrate how good a player he was and he should be in the top 10.
During his time at South , the club was regularly at the bottom of the ladder, South won the spoon 5 times between 1950 and 1957.
In that time South won 26 games and lost 115.
Deane won the Magarey Medal in 1953 -South won 5 games and finished bottom.
He again won the medal in 1957- South won 2 games and finished bottom.
Deane was R/u in the medal in 1949- South won 4 games and finished bottom.
Again he was R/u in the medal in 1950 -South didnt win a game and finished bottom.
Again he was R/u in the medal in 1951 - South won 1 game and finished bottom.

When considers that he was playing against the likes of Hank, Quinn, Fitzgerald and Head ( 10 medals between them)to name a few.. his achievements are extraordinary considering he was playing in a team that was belted every week.
He won 6 B&Fs at South Adelaide.
Also it should be noted that he played 2 seasons with Richmond in the VFL in 1954-5.

In my opinion a player greatly underestimated when it comes to selecting the SANFLs greatest players.

blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:46 pm

You make a very persuasive argument, B & W.

I'd have Jimmy Deane well before 18. I think Paul Bagshaw and Ian McKay are too high, as good as they undoubtedly were.

Bruce McGregor won 2 MM's, but is way down the list.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Just a random thought, but is the top 50 players in the SANFL now basically set, apart from the order.

Given that every youngster who shows any potential gets drafted, what are the chances of having a player possessing the skills and talent playing enough games to qualify.

Good as players like James Allan, Mitch Grigg etc are, are they good enough to break into the top 50 players ever?
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Yes I think the ever widening period since the Crows came into being, trying to rate the brilliance and influence of any current sanfl players being at least on par with the old ones is unlikely.

They would need to be something very special and I don't think we have seen very many at all.

As time passes maybe it should become a top 50 since 1991. We are almost up to 30 years, so there are plenty of candidates to choose from.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:28 am

Good suggestion.

Who are the best players since 1991 inclusive.

James Allan

Mitch Grigg

Zane Kirkwood

From a Magarey point of view.

Others?

Anyone want to post Medal winners since 1991?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:21 pm

Not only medallists.

But some ideas of players who have influenced the comp quite heavily since then without ranking them yet.

Ryan Ferguson (West)
Mark McKenzie (Eagles)
Jade Sheedy (Sturt)
Brant Chambers (Sturt)
Michael Coad (Sturt)
The Gowans (Central)... both of 'em + a whole bunch more multiple GF Flag winners.
Scott Hodges (Port)
Tim Ginever (Port)
Joel Cross (South)
Gary McIntosh (Nwd)
Brodie Atkinson (Sturt)
Damian Squire (Sturt)

There's a start until I remember some more.....

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:18 pm

From 2000 onward there'd have to be a lot of Dogs players in there .. Gowans, Gowans, McKenzie, Slade, Steinberner, and no doubt many other suitable candidates.

From 91' onward for Norwood you'd probably have to look at Borlace (good player but wouldn't make my list), B. James, Zorsi, McGuinness, Phillips, Grigg, maybe Panos, L. Johnston (who I include more for his North performances). Just options, I'm not sure how many would make my top 20 or 50.

Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2