A Mum
16 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Diabetes Type 2 - Page 6 Empty Re: Diabetes Type 2

Post by mickyj Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:36 pm

just a bit of an update !
Been on the new regime for 8 days
Worked out that I have more energy when I eat protein for breakfast . By that I mean 2 eggs whisked in the microwave or a small tin of baked beans !! Had a sachet of porridge made with water the other day 2 hours later I was out of energy . And smoko was 2 hours away lol
Cut down bread to two pieces a day
Red meat has been cut down and chicken increased

Mornings reading have now returned to the 7 area yay
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Good news.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:37 pm

redandblack wrote:Good news.
I feel so much better for a change
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:46 am

Sorry had to say this. Got home from the footy yesterday (hate football by the way) and my reading was 4.7 yippeee I thought. Second time since I started the new eating regime .Fantastic I thought wasn't sure about dinner .
This morning first time ever in my time as a type 2 and taking my blood sugar readings 6.2!!!

Sorry just had to tell someone
Also my energy levels are up low carbs high protein low fat woohooo
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:34 am

cheers 
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Don't apologise Micky - that's fantastic - keep up the awesome work !!
Brilliant!

Very Happy
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:06 pm

ok went back to the dietitian for the second time its been three weeks . And he was saying i should have lost 1/2 kilo a week so for 3 weeks i should be 2 kilos lighter .
On to the scales I went and woohoo 7 kilos lighter  Razz . Still a very long way to go
I'm over the moon and I seem to halved my blood sugar  levels in the mornings as well yeehaw !!
So high protein low carb low fat seems to be working for me !!
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Great news - Great stuff Micky Very Happy
A Mum
A Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:31 pm

A Mum wrote:Great news - Great stuff Micky Very Happy
cheers MUM
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by The Emperor Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 am

that's not the only cause
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:51 pm

tumbleweeds wrote:Is Diabetes Type 2 the one you get from being obese?
http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/Understanding-Diabetes/What-is-Diabetes/Type-2-Diabetes/
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 is the most common form of diabetes, affecting 85-90% of all people with diabetes. While it usually affects older adults, more and more younger people, even children, are getting type 2 diabetes.

In type 2 diabetes, the pancreas makes some insulin but it is not produced in the amount your body needs and it does not work effectively.

Type 2 diabetes results from a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Although there is a strong genetic predisposition, the risk is greatly increased when associated with lifestyle factors such as high blood pressure, overweight or obesity, insufficient physical activity, poor diet and the classic ‘apple shape’ body where extra weight is carried around the waist.

Type 2 diabetes can often initially be managed with healthy eating and regular physical activity. However, over time most people with type 2 diabetes will also need tablets and many will also need insulin. It is important to note that this is just the natural progression of the disease, and taking tablets or insulin as soon as they are required can result in fewer complications in the long-term.

There is currently no cure for type 2 diabetes.

Cause of Type 2 Diabetes

While there is no single cause of type 2 diabetes, there are well-established risk factors. Some of these can be changed and some cannot.

You are at a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes if you:

have a family history of diabetes
are older (over 55 years of age ) - the risk increases as we age
are over 45 years of age and are overweight
are over 45 years of age and have high blood pressure
are over 35 years of age and are from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background
are over 35 years of age and are from Pacific Island, Indian subcontinent or Chinese cultural background
are a woman who has given birth to a child over 4.5 kgs (9 lbs), or had gestational diabetes when pregnant, or had a condition known as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes

In type 2 diabetes, many people have no symptoms at all, while other signs are dismissed as a part of ‘getting older’. By the time type 2 diabetes is diagnosed, the complications of diabetes may already be present. Symptoms include:

Being excessively thirsty
Passing more urine
Feeling tired and lethargic
Always feeling hungry
Having cuts that heal slowly
Itching, skin infections
Blurred vision
Gradually putting on weight
Mood swings
Headaches
Feeling dizzy
Leg cramps.

Preventing Type 2 Diabetes

It is estimated that up to 60% of type 2 diabetes can be prevented. People at risk of type 2 diabetes can delay and even prevent this disease by following a healthy lifestyle. This includes:

Maintaining a healthy weight
Regular physical activity
Making healthy food choices
Managing blood pressure
Managing cholesterol levels
Not smoking.

Managing Type 2 Diabetes

While there is currently no cure for type 2 diabetes, the disease can be managed through lifestyle modifications and medication.

Hope that helps tumbleweed
In my case
1  most of my dads family died from it in country NSW dad dint  know until a few years ago
2  I gained a lot of weight lost a lot of  weight ok 26 kilos lost and gained in 10 years
3 I was told when diagnosed with Pre diabetes dont eat spuds was convinced by medical professionals to eat them . Or in other words my body doesn't need carbs  

Ok as I said i've gained lots of weight can not blame anyone bar myself . Have had personal issues that I didnt handle to well and ate stuff I shouldnt have !
BUT four weeks ago on Monday i got bad news and instead of over eating I started my new eating regime !
1 four weeks since ive eaten spuds  carbs im eating 1 or 2 pieces of a bread a day
3 I've raise my protein eating
4 my work clothes are starting to hang like a street punks pants lmao
5 I have more energy
6 I'm using my manual labour job as my gym
yep my own fault i have type 2 high BP cholesterol etc
NOW I"M TAKING CONTROL
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 am

Good work - brilliant info post Micky!

In my case - and I had no idea until after diagnoses - I learnt that 60% of people who drink soft drink on a daily basis get diabetes type 2. Well right there, I was a coke addict and would buy a 1.25 litre bottle a day.

If I had of known that risk then I would never have drank so much - we have warning labels on Cigarette packets, where are the warning labels on soft drink!

A Mum
A Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Interesting that this thread has popped up again today!

My wife went for her post pregnancy diabetes follow up appointment with the doctor yesterday and it looks like she has diabetes permanently now.

She's pretty devastated. She's tiny, under 5 foot, and not overweight at all, so she's feeling pretty daunted about what this means for her and how she is going to be able to manage it.

Unfortunately after she received the diagnosis I think she was in a bit of shock and so didn't really listen or comprehend what the doctor said after that, so it really is the great unknown at the moment.

I think it won't be too bad personally, she only has to keep it under 10 (it was 7 during pregnancy!) and we have pretty good eating habits. She's just mad for her junk food and coke hits, and so will have to moderate that stuff a bit now.

Along those lines - there is a tiny part of me that is kind of happy about it though as I've always struggled with my weight, and don't really like having temptations floating around the house (chips, chocolate, icecream, biscuits - if they're there I will eat them).

So interesting times ahead in our house.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:27 pm

I was a bit like that when I got diagnosed - and it doesn't get any easier trying to understand it all.  As you say no need for Mrs GN to lose weight or anything like that, so it will just come down to what she eats and getting regular exercise.

As far as I'm concerned, you'll still allowed your junk food days but of course not as often as everyone else.  And Dr said I could just have a 'normal' Christmas like everyone else.

But what I'm finding is different doctors have different opinions, and different diabetes outlets have different opinions, so it's SO confusing.

Good luck GN

As for this thread popping up again especially today - I have been told many times in the past about my ESP..lol

Diabetes Type 2 - Page 6 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Yea I actually don't think it will impact on us or her greatly to be honest.

She just can't be smashing 600ml bottles of coke or have a keg of ice cream ..... which she doesn't at the moment anyway.

If anything it will just lead to a few minor lifestyle changes that will be good for the whole family anyway.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Yep - my daughter went to a dietician last year, and she gave her a diabetes food guide (even though she doesn't have it) and said every single living person should live by that diet.

So no - it wont hurt anyone.
A Mum
A Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Im the first to agree it can be confusing and some of the diabetic educators arent the best at explaining things imho.
Try having gout and being diabetic the food they reconmend for diabetics is not allowed for gout lmao
And much of the info my dietitian told me is very generic those were his words !
But this time I'm paying attention
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Interesting that this thread has popped up again today!

My wife went for her post pregnancy diabetes follow up appointment with the doctor yesterday and it looks like she has diabetes permanently now.

She's pretty devastated. She's tiny, under 5 foot, and not overweight at all, so she's feeling pretty daunted about what this means for her and how she is going to be able to manage it.

Unfortunately after she received the diagnosis I think she was in a bit of shock and so didn't really listen or comprehend what the doctor said after that, so it really is the great unknown at the moment.

I think it won't be too bad personally, she only has to keep it under 10 (it was 7 during pregnancy!) and we have pretty good eating habits. She's just mad for her junk food and coke hits, and so will have to moderate that stuff a bit now.

Along those lines - there is a tiny part of me that is kind of happy about it though as I've always struggled with my weight, and don't really like having temptations floating around the house (chips, chocolate, icecream, biscuits - if they're there I will eat them).

So interesting times ahead in our house.

under 10 are u sure
then again depends on who u see some experts have said normal is between 3 and 7 others is 4 and 8

mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:20 pm

A Mum wrote:I was a bit like that when I got diagnosed - and it doesn't get any easier trying to understand it all.  As you say no need for Mrs GN to lose weight or anything like that, so it will just come down to what she eats and getting regular exercise.

As far as I'm concerned, you'll still allowed your junk food days but of course not as often as everyone else.  And Dr said I could just have a 'normal' Christmas like everyone else.

But what I'm finding is different doctors have different opinions, and different diabetes outlets have different opinions, so it's SO confusing.

Good luck GN

As for this thread popping up again especially today - I have been told many times in the past about my ESP..lol

Diabetes Type 2 - Page 6 2829010660

yep mum
Saturday i have breaky at villis scrambled eggs on 2 pieces of toast
lunch is a subway wrap wrap is equal to 2 pieces of bread and a subway cookie

So along with the cookie my bread intake goes from 2 to 4 pieces
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:41 pm

just thought id share my bloods have been in the 6's in the mornings . Today first time in a year or longer i had a 4 at lunch and a 4 at dinner time woohoo
Monday next week is the weigh in at the dietitians not sure if ive lost 7 kilos again though
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:17 am

Good work Micky Diabetes Type 2 - Page 6 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am

You're smashing it micky, nice work mate.

My missus has been testing hers and they've been surprisingly stable. Turns out of diet has probably been controlling her sugars naturally anyway as we eat pretty healthy.

Only time she's had a reading over 10 was an 11.4 after a couple of pieces of pizza and a handful of chips on the weekend. Even had a couple of sushi rolls and a few swigs of coke for lunch yesterday and only got a 9.4.

She's definitely feeling a bit better about the whole thing I think.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Gingernuts wrote:You're smashing it micky, nice work mate.

My missus has been testing hers and they've been surprisingly stable. Turns out of diet has probably been controlling her sugars naturally anyway as we eat pretty healthy.

Only time she's had a reading over 10 was an 11.4 after a couple of pieces of pizza and a handful of chips on the weekend. Even had a couple of sushi rolls and a few swigs of coke for lunch yesterday and only got a 9.4.

She's definitely feeling a bit better about the whole thing I think.

lmao i was put on metformin with those readings but we are all different
Felt rather exhuasted tonight from work 4.4 bloods before dinner

just had my red meat yummy
last nights chicken steak with Thai marinade pushed the sugars over 7 . funny when i needed to get 7's i couldnt now im used to 6's
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:27 am

yesterday (football aside) was a great day not blood sugars wise although dinner times was 4.4 .
I actually fitted into a pair of jeans I squeezed into way back in feb 2013 in melbourne . Bought a smaller belt friday think its still a little big
Monday night is the big test gotta get weighed again hate that feeling
mickyj
mickyj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum