Andrew Bolt and Climate Change

3 posters

Go down

Andrew Bolt and Climate Change Empty Andrew Bolt and Climate Change

Post by Lee Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:28 am

Wonderful!

Andrew Bolt absolutely slagged a couple of climate change proponents, calling on them to apologise for saying the earth is warming.

He proved they were wrong, by preparing some graphs showing there was no warming over the last several years at all.

There, that proves it, he declared.

Well known graph expert, Greg Jericho then comprehensively debunked Bolt's graphs, pointing out he'd made a fundamental error.

Bolt has now deleted the graphs, saying they'd been put up 'inadvertently'.

And some people still believe him Very Happy

Ps: January was Australia's hottest month ever.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Andrew Bolt and Climate Change Empty Re: Andrew Bolt and Climate Change

Post by Lee Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:48 am

Strangely enough, I can't find Andrew's article any more on the Herald Sun site. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

Anyway, this is a bit of Greg Jericho's post: It starts

I don’t normally blog about Andrew Bolt, because really, what’s the point? The bloke struggles with basic levels of research (a fact I have encountered personally) and hell, his stuff is pretty much pure opinion (or the opinions given to him by his readers), so there’s not much point saying I disagree with him because, well everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But today he decided to try his hand with some graphs.

The settings for this foray in to the graphic world of data was a comment by Craig Emerson on Twitter with Dr Karl Kruszelnicki:

He then quotes from Bol'ts article:

In the faint hope Emerson can be educated

One man presents science on the ABC. The other is a senior minister in the government that’s imposed the carbon tax.

You would expect both not to be so ignorant about the very basic data on global warming:

He continues:

Now it’s a brave man who starts calling others ignorant especially one who is not exactly known for his superb research skills.

In order to prove to Emerson and Dr Karl that they were ignorant Bolt tried his hands at graphing some data.

Now look. I don’t want to get all “demarcation dispute” with Andrew on graphs. Sure they’ve become a bit of my thing. And sure I probably have a passion for graphs that rather goes beyond the healthy stage. But here’s the thing. When I use a graph I know that I have to be just as careful in how I present that graph as I do when I write words, because you can lie just as easily with a graph as you can with words, and I don’t want anyone accusing me of attempting to defraud the public by presenting data that is actually false or misleading.

Bolt presents 5 graphs and I will show them all screenshot just to prove I’m not making this up (because by the time you get to the end of this you’ll be sure I am).

First he presents a “graph” from the Met Office in the UK:

Here's a link to the rest of the article. It's long and nerdy, so it's only for the interested, but he completely demolishes Bolt's graphs.

http://grogsgamut.blogspot.com.au/

As I said, Bolt now says the graphs were posted 'inadvertently'.

Bit hard to post a long article, complete with graphs, 'inadvertently', I would have thought.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm

the worlds been in climate change since it began
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down