Booney
Southee
Gingernuts
testy
A Mum
17 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Concerts/Gigs you will be attending (or think you may attend) in 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: Concerts/Gigs you will be attending (or think you may attend) in 2013

Post by mickyj Sat May 02, 2015 7:50 pm

My Fleetwood Mac tickets arrived yesterday woohoo
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Concerts/Gigs you will be attending (or think you may attend) in 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: Concerts/Gigs you will be attending (or think you may attend) in 2013

Post by Scrappy Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Supanova Pop Culture Expo
21-22 November
Adelaide Showgrounds

Blasts from the past will be in attendance, including :
Barbara Eden
Barbara Feldon
Butch Patrick

They performed in :
I Dream Of Jeannie
Get Smart
The Munsters

I liked I Dream Of Jeannie the best , but laughed more watching Get Smart
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:04 am

I've got Grinspoon with Cold Chisel in a few weeks.

Ac/DC not long after.

Iron Maiden in early 2016.

Black Sabbath the week after Maiden.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 am

Love the Boon choices

Which lead singer was the better for ACDC
Bon Scott
Brian Johnson

Of the Boon concerts, the one that appeals to me the most is Black Sabbath
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Bon Scott was clearly a better front man, but would he have been able to sustain the longevity of Johnson? I don't think so. AC/DC would have crashed an burned with Scott up front, Johnson has stood the test of time and had the unenviable task of replacing a rock god. For me, Johnson wins, just. He's been able to stay at the top of his game for over 30 years. Not many vocalists ( he is unique, obviously ) can do that. Especially heavy rock vocalists.

Having said that, I'm not there to see / hear anything post 1990 ( Thunderstruck ) AC/DC. They have a simple recipe for success, A,E,D and lead breaks with basic rhythm guitar and drumming 4/4 behind it. Post 90's it's been same, same, but different for AC/DC.

Sabbath has Osbourne, Iommi and Butler. It's Sabbath 1970's style...
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:35 am

Which brings an interesting outlook on the major frontmen and their longevity.

These guys are still going (maybe just in some cases - and questionable vocal ability in others).....

Roger Daltrey (The Who) - saw him about 15 years ago and his voice was fairly shot then.
Mick Jagger (Stones) - still out there when, by rights, he should be dead.
Robert Plant (Zeppelin) - voice a bit scratchy these days, but still gets out there from time to time.
Paul Stanley (Kiss) - voice looking very shaky when they played on the Footy Show recently. Back up singers and Tommy (Spaceman) Thayer covering for that.
Gene Simmons (Kiss) - voice only had about half an octave in it from the get go. Pretty much monotone now.
Sting (Police) - have seen him 4 times over 25 years. Most recently with Paul Simon in March. Still pretty well on the money. Although upper register is a bit strained now. Maybe put the preservation in his voice down to all that tantric sex and yoga.
Tom Jones - Just proves all that sex is good for the voice.
Lindsay Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) - Maybe not quite as smooth as he was, but still in reasonable "Nick" (pun for Scrappy).

Lest we forget........
Ronnie Dio (Sabbath / Rainbow) - An extraordinary rock voice
John Lennon (Beatles) - Probably underrated singer. More about the songs and songwriting.
Roy Orbison (Willberys) - Huge vocal range - 3 octaves they reckon.
Freddy Mercury (Queen) - Has there ever been a more extravagant frontman? Huge waste.
Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) / Michael Hutchence (INXS) - Suicides.....waste!

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:33 am

Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden - 1982 - Present. Rock God and power personified.
Rob Halford - Judas Priest - 1969 - Present - with a break from Priest, his high pitch and lasting notes are to behold live.
Klause Meine - The Scorpions - 1978 - 1992 Amazing vocalist in his own right.
Axl Rose - Guns n Roses - 1985-1994 - Has an amazing range. 5, yes, 5 octaves.
Brian Wilson - The Beach Boys - 1964-Present - Not a powerful voice, but amazing longevity.
Jeff Buckley - Died 1997 - Wow. Emotion personified in vocal treatments.
Bono - U2 - 1976 - Present. Questionable chap, might like himself, but can he sing and he's fronted one of the worlds biggest acts for 30 years.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 am

AC/DC - Adelaide Oval, Nov 21, 2015

Well, what can be said about AC/DC? In their "genre" (let's just call it "rock" not metal, not anything but rock) you could argue that they are at the pinnacle of their chosen field, or at least, once were.

With 17 studio albums and over 200 millions albums sold world wide since High Voltage hit the shelves in 1975 has this group among the greats.

Now, in 2015 with Angus Young as the only original member on stage they have moved from rock royalty to somewhere on the "other side of the hill".

With Phil Rudd confined to his house in NZ after being charged with "attempting to procure murder" ( a charge later dropped, but he's still awaiting trial on charges of "threatening to kill" ) and long time rhythm guitarist and younger brother of Angus, Malcolm Young sadly no longer capable of touring due to the onset of dementia ( and some respiratory issues ) the band has a distinctly different feel.Malcolm has been replaced by nephew Stevie and Chris Slade returns to the line up after filling in for Rudd during a period in the 1980's when Rudd left the bad for around a decade or so.

So while it's AC/DC they're selling, it's really Angus Young and some riffs and beats played by fill ins hardly anyone would recognize walking down the street. Brian Johnson, lead singer since 1980, still can belt out the trade mark scream but age is clearly taking it's toll and the opportunity to gasp in some big ones between songs leaves little in the way of time for crowd interaction. Apart from one "Adelaide, its been too long!" at the very outset there was little to no crowd interaction from the front man.

I won't go into too much detail regarding the set list, it obviously included some new tracks from "Rock or Bust" ( that, of course, tell everyone they are about to "rock" ) as well as the anthems we all have known from back yard BBQ's through to road trips with mates over the years. Lead man and show stopper Angus Young (now 60) remains one of the premier rock guitarists the world has seen, his energy levels are to envy, his 'lick skills are incredible ( his solo just prior to the encore was amazing ) and he doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon. Bar the receding hair line and weathered face he still could be doing this in another 40 years. Sadly, obviously, he won't.

Which begs the question, is this it for AC/DC? With Malcolm ill and never to return, with Rudd unlikely to get a VISA across half the world and with Angus into his 60's and with Johnson still trying in vein to tear his vocal cords apart (and he must be close) is this the last of AC/DC? I think it might just be.

I've seen them on a few occasions, memories fade from show to show (it might be the beer or the years) and you can't always take yourself back to the last show to compare, and why would you? Like all things Father time takes it's toll and we slow, we soften. AC/DC have been able to avoid this for nearly 5 decades but "Rock or bust" might just be the end of the line for this icon of the rock scene.

I'm glad I saw them years ago, I'm glad I saw them again on Saturday night, I'm glad they have been a part of my musical journey up until this time in my life and will remain that way, none of us could say we've never been on a "Highway to Hell" or that we've never thought it's "a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll".

AC/DC, I/we, salute you. \m/
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:32 pm

You got to hand it the Adelaide Oval marketing peoples
ACDC last Saturday and Pink this Friday
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:05 pm

You've got to hand it to Pink.
She is here almost every other year.
She's prolific and tireless.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:You've got to hand it to Pink.

Psssst....he meant the pink ball at the cricket. Laughing
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Booney wrote:
Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:You've got to hand it to Pink.

Psssst....he meant the pink ball at the cricket. Laughing

Oops! Embarassed
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Fooled me as well. Shows how much we care about the current test series Chambo. Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:13 am

If Scrappy is fooling you, time for a lay down and a cup of tea. Laughing
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:41 am

Can't argue with that!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:16 pm

My kids are saying no to me going to concerts i hope to be fit by these two coming
bananarama
Belind Carlisle
hell if Joan Jett or Lita ford play in melbourne ill be there sick brain damged or not they are from my past
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:24 pm

CASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE WINGFIELD
February 20 + March 5

A Masters Apprentice
Living in the sixties
Starring :
Peter Tilbrook [Masters Apprentices]
John Bywaters [Twilights]

$33 per head
$29 concession

Tickets from Adelaide Fringe ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:30 pm

cheaper than Hanson Road !!!!
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:42 pm

went to see "All you need is Love" at the Festival Theatre last night.
4 singers, great band and the ASO. Was a top night.

Just makes you remember just how good the Lennon / McCartney songwriting was.

Jack Jones had a cracking version of "I Want You" and even ripped a huge guitar solo out at the same time.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:17 pm

ROCKTHERAPY
536 Goodwood Road , Daw Park
16/4/2016
2:00pm

THE MASTERS APPRENTICES
Some of the founding members will be at Frasers record store at 2:00pm
Mick Bower
Rick Morrison
Brian Vaughton
Gavin Webb

The band members will sign records-books-CDs- memorabilia-etc

There will other musos grooving out some tunes outside the store
10:00 am Andy Rocket
11:00 am Nancy Bates
Midday : Hannah Yates
2:30 pm Louis Donnarumma
3:15 pm : Stephen O' Malley

Excellent days entertainment to co-incide with World Music Day
Rocktherapy is one of my favorite Music shops in Adelaide
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:08 pm

Peter Tilbrook is playing in a band called ''Party Cats'' (or similar), they are playing at the Strathalbyn meeting held at Globe Derby on April 16th, free entry to the trots so its free entry to the show as well, they'll play between races & then a set or two after the last
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:33 pm

I'll Be There
A Jackson 5 song
And Globe Derby 16/4/2016
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:30 pm

http://www.harness.org.au/news-article.cfm?news_id=29457
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:18 pm

www.eveningwithgroucho.com/touring-schedule.html

11/10/2016 .....21/10/2016
Frank Ferrante is performing his Groucho Marx act in Adelaide at various venues

Frank was discovered by Arthur Marx, Grouchos son
American actor , Frank has done 2500 + Groucho Marx shows

" Part of this joy of doing this show is I get to see the response from children and the elderly and everyone in between
It seems to cut across culture and gender and age."

By Frank Ferrante
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:48 pm

I'll have to get to that..... Arthur Marx (not Harpo) was a highly ranked tennis player in his day
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next