The dizzying world of footy!
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Nathan Eagleton Departs  - Page 2 Empty Re: Nathan Eagleton Departs

Post by Southee Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm

In other words.

I was dropped due to injury and form but did not want to apply myself to get better.....so then I cleaned out my locker.
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Sorry Southee, that's simply not the case.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Ok AH .....Wink
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambridge Clarrie Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Southee wrote:In other words.

I was dropped due to injury and form but did not want to apply myself to get better.....so then I cleaned out my locker.

You cynic Southee...
Cambridge Clarrie
Cambridge Clarrie

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 pm

reading CK's article i'd suggest keeping Eagleton on as a mentor would be great for the up & coming youngsters, also it keeps him around the club & should Norwood get a bad run with injuries he could also don the boots again
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by mypaspectiv Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:26 am

Well blow me. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Nathan is the third ex AFL player to reject a fair & reasonable offer to go back and help his original club in the past 2 yrs, especially when they really needed it.

Although the potential for a premiership was muted as the main reason I think the dollars also had a large bearing on Nathan's decision to go to Norwood as it was with Scott and Steven's decision to go to the Eagles. Only Steven can boast a premiership medal so I guess this justifies his decision.

I raise the question: Why do some of these ex AFL boys come back to the SANFL after being extremely well paid for many years in the AFL and demand big bucks when they should be assisting their original club (that gave them a start) not only as a player but a mentor and possible future coach.

Also: Why did they make two year commitments and then walk away after one??

Perhaps certain clubs may be a bit more cautious in the future after transferring $25K to the club of origin on top of whatever their contractural match payments have been. A costly exercise and lot of dough for one year with not much in return I would have thought.

Never the less, they are all good blokes and I'm sure West would welcome them back to a Past Players function at any time. Even though there is always a little anxt at the time they made their decsions, all is forgiven as the years tick by. Life's too short to bear grudges isn't it.

mypaspectiv
mypaspectiv

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:23 pm

mypaspectiv wrote:Well blow me. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Nathan is the third ex AFL player to reject a fair & reasonable offer to go back and help his original club in the past 2 yrs, especially when they really needed it.

Although the potential for a premiership was muted as the main reason I think the dollars also had a large bearing on Nathan's decision to go to Norwood as it was with Scott and Steven's decision to go to the Eagles. Only Steven can boast a premiership medal so I guess this justifies his decision.

I raise the question: Why do some of these ex AFL boys come back to the SANFL after being extremely well paid for many years in the AFL and demand big bucks when they should be assisting their original club (that gave them a start) not only as a player but a mentor and possible future coach.

Perhaps certain clubs may be a bit more cautious in the future after transferring $25K to the club of origin on top of whatever their contractural match payments have been. A costly exercise and lot of dough for one year with not much in return I would have thought.

Never the less, they are all good blokes and I'm sure West would welcome them back to a Past Players function at any time. Even though there is always a little anxt at the time they made their decsions, all is forgiven as the years tick by. Life's too short to bear grudges isn't it.

Way to much was made of home not going back to West in my opinion. It had been 10 years which is a long time. He didn't really know too many left there and probably felt no attchment. Plenty if SANFL players don't go back to their SAAFL or country club when there career us over.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

ca wrote:
mypaspectiv wrote:Well blow me. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Nathan is the third ex AFL player to reject a fair & reasonable offer to go back and help his original club in the past 2 yrs, especially when they really needed it.

Way to much was made of him not going back to West in my opinion. It had been 10 years which is a long time. He didn't really know too many left there and probably felt no attchment. Plenty of SANFL players don't go back to their SAAFL or country club when there career us over.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by mypaspectiv Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks CA. I understand your comments but when all these three players spoke to West first & foremost demonstrating their keen interest in returning to the club and then shopped themselves around for the best deal, what does that tell you.

The biggest disappointment was Scott and Nathan because they both had a good history & connection with West before being drafted, even to the point of regular communication with people at the club during their time away. Scott would always visit the club while in Adelaide & was always made to feel very welcome.

Oh well these things happen from time to time so one has to accept it and move forward, which West did.

mypaspectiv
mypaspectiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Why shouldn't they shop around for the best deal? It's no different than anyone else.
Do you feel a need to return to the 1st company you worked for just because they gave you your 1st chance.
Way too much is made of players not returning to their old clubs.
It's a 2 way street at the end of the day and personally I don't give a fig where they come from as long as they put in the whole nine yards when they are with us
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Mypaspectiv ... Great post and totally agree.

Loyalty is totally gone in footy and to act like mercenaries with clubs Is a low act in my book.

At least these players can give a little back to the clubs that got them started.

I know I would but that's the sort of character I am ...

Never had much respect for players that shop around for $$$ 's ... South hàve been caught this way too many times . Sad
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:22 pm

If they come for the $$$ and don't give value for money, then I agree. But if they get the best deal they can and make an impact with their new club then I don't see a problem.

As for loyalty, you would assume they got drafted because they stood out during games they played so is that not enough.

If you worked hard and stood out as an employee and got promoted to a bigger company because of it, would you feel disloyal to your current employer, or would you feel that you had done a good job for them and repaid their faith in you with your hard work whilst you were there ?

Its just my personal view point
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Tough one.

If i was with a good employer who looked after me well with great benefits and conditions...a really good trainer. I dont know if I would go on to bigger and better things....some people see the $$$'s in their eyes and go and work with another company to find "the grass is not always greener on the other side" Wink Many have tried it...many have failed and tried to crawl back to their original employer "begging " for their job back.....

Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:09 am

Southee wrote:Tough one.

If i was with a good employer who looked after me well with great benefits and conditions...a really good trainer. I dont know if I would go on to bigger and better things....some people see the $$$'s in their eyes and go and work with another company to find "the grass is not always greener on the other side" Wink Many have tried it...many have failed and tried to crawl back to their original employer "begging " for their job back.....

Fair call Southee.

I just think sometimes we forget that sportspeople are only human and have a job of work to do like the rest of us.
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by mypaspectiv Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks Southee for your support. Although I respect Bobbafet's remarks I think he is missing the main points in his reply post that I was trying to make.

First Point: I don't think any of these players gave great value for money for their respective clubs as he has suggested. Each one of them cost their new club $25K Transfer fee plus their contractural match payments which were approx $25Kpa and in one case considerably more. If you reflect on how many games they played and how well they played in those games this may answer the question of "what is good value for money???".

Second Point: Some of these players were drafted from the SANFL after playing little or no league football. All the clubs put a lot of time, investment, energy & effort into their zones and junior programmes and it would be nice to get a bit back at the completion of their careers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine for what it's worth. Happy days!!!!!!

mypaspectiv
mypaspectiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Personally I don't think this analogy between footy clubs and employers (i.e. how much loyalty would you show to your first employer?) holds water. Firstly, when a player enters League ranks the footy club would not be his principal employer. He would be earning a pittance from the club.

Secondly, there are many differences between a footy club and a non-football employer, a major one being the passion of the people following the club and the emotional ties that that passion hopefully creates between the players and the club and its supporters. That's one reason why supporters expect and hope former players return to their original club, and why it feels like an insult when they don't. There is no equivalent to that that I can think of in the non-football employment world.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by countrycousin Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:55 am

Flag No.9 wrote:Personally I don't think this analogy between footy clubs and employers (i.e. how much loyalty would you show to your first employer?) holds water. Firstly, when a player enters League ranks the footy club would not be his principal employer. He would be earning a pittance from the club.

Secondly, there are many differences between a footy club and a non-football employer, a major one being the passion of the people following the club and the emotional ties that that passion hopefully creates between the players and the club and its supporters. That's one reason why supporters expect and hope former players return to their original club, and why it feels like an insult when they don't. There is no equivalent to that that I can think of in the non-football employment world.
That's a very good post and one's relationship with a football club is difficult to express in words. I don't know anything, beyond what I've read, about Nathan Eagleton's situation, so I wont comment on that. But with a lifetime of involvement with one SANFL club (Sturt)and a family background with that club going back to the 1920s I know where you're coming from. That's why I think the "professionalization" (To coin a phrase - an ugly one I admit) of football in all codes and the use of the term "club" for entities that aren't clubs at all, as I understand the term, has distorted the relationship between players and supporters at grass roots level. I might sit down and write a post on this topic for your "great read" forum and hope I can do it justice. Wink
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Bobbafet Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:30 am

mypaspectiv wrote:Thanks Southee for your support. Although I respect Bobbafet's remarks I think he is missing the main points in his reply post that I was trying to make.

First Point: I don't think any of these players gave great value for money for their respective clubs as he has suggested. Each one of them cost their new club $25K Transfer fee plus their contractural match payments which were approx $25Kpa and in one case considerably more. If you reflect on how many games they played and how well they played in those games this may answer the question of "what is good value for money???".

Second Point: Some of these players were drafted from the SANFL after playing little or no league football. All the clubs put a lot of time, investment, energy & effort into their zones and junior programmes and it would be nice to get a bit back at the completion of their careers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine for what it's worth. Happy days!!!!!!

I wasn't suggesting they had beend good value for money since their return. Honestly I wouldn't know. That wasn't the point. You do make a good point though regarding not actually playing league football for their SANFL club.

My point was that sometimes we go overboard with the idea of loyalty and sportspeople in general, and in many cases it is their job of work.

Last edited by Bobbafet on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:39 am

Flag No.9 wrote:Personally I don't think this analogy between footy clubs and employers (i.e. how much loyalty would you show to your first employer?) holds water. Firstly, when a player enters League ranks the footy club would not be his principal employer. He would be earning a pittance from the club.

The fans are a 3rd party though Flag No9. Most fans watch, players, directors etc come and go and are still loyal to "thier" club, no matter how successful or not it is. I think this is completely different and I agree 100% with you regarding the fans. But to players, professional or semi-professional, it is a job of work. Granted it's a great job if you love to play footy and you are good enough to get paid for it, but in the end it is a way of earning money for them. If it was based purely on loyalty, then no one would get paid as they wouldn't be doing it for money.
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2