Heat policy for Friday night, lets postpone the matches

+2
Chambo Off To Work We Go
bayman
6 posters

Go down

Heat policy for Friday night, lets postpone the matches  Empty Heat policy for Friday night, lets postpone the matches

Post by bayman Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Given the forecast for Friday, should we just postpone the matches until Sunday or indeed play them on Monday or Tuesday night?

If one of the players or more ends up with heat stroke or worse despite the best endeavours not too, how would it look to the general public & more important than that is how would families, employers etc cope ? To me the health of the participants, umpires & volunteers should be paramount
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Heat policy for Friday night, lets postpone the matches  Empty Re: Heat policy for Friday night, lets postpone the matches

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:08 am

I guess it is an increasing risk in footy with things starting much earlier now with the women's league.

They are definitely going to need to address it. Whether that means postponement or other heat mitigating procedures, I don't know.

The 'do nothing' is not really an option these days.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Heat policy for Friday night, lets postpone the matches  Empty Re: Heat policy for Friday night, lets postpone the matches

Post by Thiele Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:48 pm

City Mazda Games Delay Starts
Glenelg v North 6pm

West V South 7.55 pm
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Thiele wrote:City Mazda Games Delay Starts
Glenelg v North 6pm

West V South 7.55 pm

It'll still be stifling, surely the safest measure is not playing in extreme heat, while they'll be hydrated & cared for, it only takes one player to collapse & get taken to hospital & all hell will break loose

the same can be said for the upcoming AFL trial match at Port Pirie, yes they maybe professionals but they are also human beings & again heat stress etc can happen & indeed cost a player weeks on the sidelines or worse & if you think i'm going over the top i say remember Lawrence Angwin at Adelaide, he collapsed during preseason training on a very hot day

one day a player male or female will have huge problems from this so lets be proactive & cancel/postpone matches when it's way too hot

bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:09 pm

bayman wrote:
Thiele wrote:City Mazda Games Delay Starts
Glenelg v North 6pm

West V South 7.55 pm

It'll still be stifling, surely the safest measure is not playing in extreme heat,  while they'll be hydrated & cared for, it only takes one player to collapse & get taken to hospital & all hell will break loose

the same can be said for the upcoming AFL trial match at Port Pirie, yes they maybe professionals but they are also human beings & again heat stress etc can happen & indeed cost a player weeks on the sidelines  or worse & if you think i'm going over the top i say remember Lawrence Angwin at Adelaide, he collapsed during preseason training on a very hot day

one day a player male or female will  have huge problems from this so lets be proactive & cancel/postpone matches when it's way too hot

I agree
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:37 pm

The 7:55pm matches should be fine at both grounds.  It'll be warm, but the sting of the sun will be gone.

I'd have thought the 6:00pm matches could've been shifted though, but it's probably late enough in the day for it to be warm, but not dangerously warm.

The JLT game in Port Pirie, frankly, should be abandoned. It's far too dangerous to play a trial match in that heat for a trial match

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:15 pm

There’s your word you typed “should” yes I agree they should be ok but my words “WHAT IF” someone isn’t ?

Player & volunteer safety should be paramount rather than having processes in place

I hope & pray I don’t say “i told you so”
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:11 pm

The Pt Pirie game should be moved to an evening slot or postponed. They were talking about having longer quarter time breaks and even breaks during the quarters. (a game of 8 octrants?) Wont make a lot of difference if you are running around in 40+ degree heat.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Speaking to the Glenelg girls last night they thought it would good to call it off the last night. They have so many byes that could make it up
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Friday night was stifling as a spectator. I can't imagine what it would've been like for the girls playing in those conditions.

Ironically this weekend is a league-wide bye for the SANFLW

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:01 pm

I have a slightly different view on playing in inclement conditions.

I see preseason games as not just getting fit but also for testing players in different positions and more importantly practicing all aspects of club game day (preparation, game play and post game procedures) for football players, Coaches and staff so all problems are sorted before the season main.

Playing in inclement conditions is going to happen during the season main so players need to experience and learn or be taught during preseason how to cope with these issues. Also clubs and league needs to trail and test preventative action to ensure they are the best options for player and staff safety

Whilst no one wants to see a player or staff member being placed at risk all players and staff are under strong scrutiny by all medical staff to limit any medical potential issues.
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 pm

oldfella wrote:I have a slightly different view on playing in inclement conditions.

I see preseason games as not just getting fit but also for testing players in different positions and more importantly practicing all aspects of club game day (preparation, game play and post game procedures) for football players, Coaches and staff so all problems are sorted before the season main.

Playing in inclement conditions is going to happen during the season main so players need to experience and learn or be taught during preseason how to cope with these issues. Also clubs and league needs to trail and test preventative action to ensure they are the best options for player and staff safety

Whilst no one wants to see a player or staff member being placed at risk all players and staff are under strong scrutiny by all medical staff to limit any medical potential issues.
This was no trial we are talking about SANFLW. Yes I spent close to 5 hours sitting in the heat. I was under shade but it was not. As mention before it could of been played this weekend as all SANFLW teams have the week off
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:49 pm

oldfella wrote:I have a slightly different view on playing in inclement conditions.

If the weather was inclement we wouldn’t be having this discussion

As for trial games, they have been moved in the past because of extreme heat, usually moved to an early morning time slot....to me it is a safety first approach, rather than making a decision in a “for future reference we’ll change matches” because someone became ill because of the heat first
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum