eartotheground
bayman
UncleHuey
saintal
Thiele
Brucetiki
10 posters

Go down

Round 10: West v North - Saturday 24 June @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Round 10: West v North - Saturday 24 June @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by Brucetiki Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 pm

West v North
Saturday 24 June
City Mazda Stadium

Reserves: 11:30am
League: 2:10pm

It's the competitions two bottom sides facing off at Richmond. Who will bring some cheer to their fans this week?

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Round 10: West v North - Saturday 24 June @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Re: Round 10: West v North - Saturday 24 June @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by bayman Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:40 am

Westies' in a thriller, lets say 1 point
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Round 10: West v North - Saturday 24 June @ City Mazda Stadium Empty Re: Round 10: West v North - Saturday 24 June @ City Mazda Stadium

Post by UncleHuey Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:14 pm

The Bloods to bring some cheer to their fans and have a win at home. I thought that when we played them they gave a better contest at the ball then North and were unlucky to lose. It will be close but Westies by 10 points.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:59 pm

WEST
West Adelaide has welcomed back star pair Chris Schmidt and Izak Rankine for its clash with North on Saturday.
Captain Schmidt has recovered after being a late withdrawal for the clash with Port in Round 9 while Rankine is back from playing with the McDonald’s SA U18 team.
They have been joined in the 23-man Bloods squad by Tom Pillion, Oliver Johnson and Hugh Haysman, who have all been named on the extended interchange bench.
Key defender Ben Klemke couldn’t be considered due to injury while Jacob Carger and John Noble were sent back to the Reserves.
League
F: Fielke, Watchman, Green
HF: Turner, Middleton, Karpany
C: Batley, K. Stevens, Rankine
HB: Agostino, Burgess, Hill
B: Caire, Keough, Wasley-Black

R: McPherson, Schiller, Schmidt
INT: Pillion, O. Johnson, Haysman, Bates, Favretto
IN: Pillion, Rankine, Schmidt, Haysman, O. Johnson
OUT: Klemke (knee), Carger, J. Noble
Reserves
Silverlock, Waite, Head, Anderson, Carger, J. Evans, L. Ryan, Heitmann, I. Johnson, Inglis, Majok, Holliday, Scott, Halkias, J. Ryan, Satanek, J. Stevens, Lynch, J. Noble, Crump, L. Evans.
Under-18
Nunan, Fazzalari, Eichner, Gutsche, Caruso, Alaeddin, May, Baker, Fairlie, Crump, Walton, Inglis, Boots, Smith, Milsom, Thilthorpe, Laube, Rugari, Gulliford, Smithson, Rana, Neumann, Wulff, Woolridge, Singh, Dunkin, Hannagan.
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Westies played quite well yesterday, but North look like a team without spirit. I was surprised to see such a flat effort against the bottom team. Anything going on down there?
And by the by, the standard of player identification of West players in the Digital Pass broadcast was pretty poor. When you think Nathan Batley is Jesse Watchman you're not travelling well.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:16 pm

There are a few questions being asked around the league regarding the Digital Pass. Commentary in some games, subscriber numbers, benefits to clubs compared to radio among them.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:01 pm

I haven't heard even 5 minutes of it, yet I always had a radio with me to listen to the game I went to which also helped with scores from other matches throughout the day.....the sanfl basically has an older generation base of interest, how is that interest maintain with people in hospitals, nursing homes etc ?

I also have no idea how these Soundcloud things work so I haven't even heard one interview either, which is why I miss the Vision Australia Thursday night league team shows & all the guys on that made it enjoyable to listen too
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Have watched a few games on the digital pass and have been satisfied (although did drop out for 10 mins in opening round). Do miss having radio content though, would often listen at the ground and was good to tune in on the way to and from the ground to hear some SANFL chat, even if it wasn't your club being focused on. Used to enjoy RPH on thursday nights and back when they were doing morning sports shows.

Anyway, back on topic, well done to Rubbers and the Bloods on breaking a 12 month drought.
saintal
saintal

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:56 pm

Congrats to Westies on their first win.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 pm

eartotheground wrote:There are a few questions being asked around the league regarding the Digital Pass. Commentary in some games, subscriber numbers, benefits to clubs compared to radio among them.
What questions are being asked regarding the commentary?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:Westies played quite well yesterday, but North look like a team without spirit. I was surprised to see such a flat effort against the bottom team. Anything going on down there?
And by the by, the standard of player identification of West players in the Digital Pass broadcast was pretty poor. When you think Nathan Batley is Jesse Watchman you're not travelling well.

I just watched the second quarter.

Phil Herden and John Nankivell are excellent callers, but the new addition (Fraser), even allowing that it was his first call, was unfortunately below what should be acceptable.  

Not sure about the selection process for new callers, but that was below par for a service we pay for.

Having said that, I enjoyed the other 2 callers effort.

Last edited by Lee on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Never heard it but if it's his first go, then give him a chance, they all have to start somewhere, if no improvement after a few weeks then put the boots in
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Big Phil wrote:
eartotheground wrote:There are a few questions being asked around the league regarding the Digital Pass. Commentary in some games, subscriber numbers, benefits to clubs compared to radio among them.

Whether the vision matches description. Some callers heard a lot compared to others. Among a few things.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 pm

bayman wrote:Never heard it but if it's his first go, then give him a chance, they all have to start somewhere, if no improvement after a few weeks then put the boots in

Agreed, but there has to be a basic level expected. No point being told what you can see without being told who the player is with the footy.  If it was a last minute fill-in, fair enough, but otherwise the lack of any preparation wasn't good enough for a professional product.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 pm

To Flag No 10 & Lee,

Appreciate the feedback and personal apologies if the commentary standard was not considered acceptable.

Bringing in new people and throwing them off the edge calling play by play is never easy.

This year so far we have done this with John Symons, Andrew Marks and David Hutton being a 3rd party to the two standard callers. BTW All will be making their debuts as a play by play duo this weekend ... good luck.

I shudder back to my first time on air which I was sure post match would be my last, thankfully not so.

Fraser is an interesting case as he is a radio sports show producer and an excellent professional play by play caller for a different sport.  

I think this showed in his voice, his flow of calling, his interaction with John & I and the way he just kept at it without being flustered even though there were struggles at times. ie he has the style but needs the substance ... most new callers are the other way around.

However his weakness was a complete lack of SANFL background, ie he was learning 44 players from scratch calling a foreign sport for the first time.

In retrospect after a really good pre-game and first quarter doing the set shots I threw him in too early for the play by play. My call, my apologies again.

To say there was no preparation is factually incorrect, but I understand how it may have come across that way.

As he has now experienced first hand exactly the level of knowledge required to do the job, I think if given a second training run, with enough time to get to know the two teams, he would acquit himself very well.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Phil, I agree with the comments about Fraser - he shouldn't have been put in that position and it's not good enough, but I'm afraid you didn't cover yourself in glory in the player identification stakes either. I don't know if it's possible but when the play is on the far side of the ground, you might be better off looking at the live video. Often it felt like I had a better view of the game than the commentators did.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:05 pm

eartotheground wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Whether the vision matches description. Some callers heard a lot compared to others. Among a few things.

There has been more voices this year than previous, so have to disagree with you there.

There are rotations and some callers have limited availabilities so don't do as many games as others.

Would be interested in your 'other things' comments, as it might be worth passing on the relevant feedback.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback Phil.

I know first hand how hard it is to get player ID right all the time, so the occasional error never bothers me, but if you watch the 2nd quarter and even allowing for inexperience, you would have to agree that it showed a lack of preparation.

I'm sure Fraser will learn from it and become a good caller, but my advice would be for him to "call" that 2nd quarter off the video without sound for improvement.

As I said, you and John are very good callers and I'd give Fraser another go when he's more familiar with the players he's calling.

Enjoyed catching up and hope this is constructive.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Flag No 10 - We don't get a screen view of what is being telecast.  So yes given different angles and camera v binocular focus I am sure at times you get a better view.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down