scott
oldfella
blueandwhite
44 posters

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

Rumour File - Page 2 Empty Re: Rumour File

Post by bayman Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:16 pm

oldfella wrote:Fair comment mate -- reference attendance many forget that 50/50 cricket had poor attendance first up then they had a series of dollar days -- people came and when they seen the product they stayed .

Agreed, Our first need is to get people to attend and many who i talk too find the expense especially for more than one a significant factor when local football in most cases is free

it was Sheffield Shield matches that had $1.00 day on Sundays.....now Shield cricket has free entry but $15.00 to park the car
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Bayman, i am sure i went to 50/50 games on dollar days as i have never been to a shield game in my life believe it or not. As a matter of fact sad to say i have only ever been to two senior cricket matches both because my late father wanted to go and have a look at 50/50 -- the second game was west indies v australia at football park. I actually do not like watching shield or test cricket

Scrunch, good point i had forgotten membership
oldfella
oldfella

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 am

waddayamean wrote:
I don't see how it is an uneven playing field now ? If a club is attractive to go to the the salary cap is irrelevant . West and South are great examples of this as they have been renowned for spending big bucks for recruits yet over the years have lacked success .

1) It's uneven because of the two AFL teams and their salary cap.
2)The salary cap is not irrelevant. If a recruit is deciding between two teams who are equally attractive to him, a team with a bigger salary cap will be able to offer him more money. That's relevant.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:
waddayamean wrote:
I don't see how it is an uneven playing field now ? If a club is attractive to go to the the salary cap is irrelevant . West and South are great examples of this as they have been renowned for spending big bucks for recruits yet over the years have lacked success .

1) It's uneven because of the two AFL teams and their salary cap.
2)The salary cap is not irrelevant. If a recruit is deciding between two teams who are equally attractive to him, a team with a bigger salary cap will be able to offer him more money. That's relevant.

surely these days that can't happen, can it ? surely if players aren't drafted they can't go to those franchises.....i know its happened in the past as Phillip Lewis McGuiness was ''poached'' & good luck to him as he became a premiership player with the now defunct REAL Port Magpies
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan2 Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Waddaymean.

I agree 100% with Flag no.10.

Lachlan2
Lachlan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Bayman I was referring to SANFL teams in my second point.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:51 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:Bayman I was referring to SANFL teams in my second point.

ok, re read it & understand what you were exactly meaning, sorry my error
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lee Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Who have West and South thrown money at, W?

The salary limits what can be spent and West have had among the highest percentage of local players for many years.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:25 am

waddayamean wrote:

I don't think you understand my post. Players want to play for successful clubs . If you go and throw money at that them then they are playing for the wrong reason and you won't get success. West and South have done it for years and have had little success. All clubs have been in financial trouble but now for some reason it is different.
No argument with the AFL reserves but it is in and it's time stop complaining about that.

No I just think you're completely wrong. The Eagles are a successful club and have thrown money at Boyd, Ainger, Wundke, Tiller, Welsh. Norwood are successful and threw plenty at Johnston, Newton etc. If unsuccessful clubs like South and West who have not had high quality zones producing enough good local players (other than those who are too good and get drafted) don't try to recruit high quality (and expensive) players, how are they supposed to compete?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:58 am

Flag No.10 wrote:
waddayamean wrote:

I don't think you understand my post. Players want to play for successful clubs . If you go and throw money at that them then they are playing for the wrong reason and you won't get success. West and South have done it for years and have had little success. All clubs have been in financial trouble but now for some reason it is different.
No argument with the AFL reserves but it is in and it's time stop complaining about that.

No I just think you're completely wrong. The Eagles are a successful club and have thrown money at Boyd, Ainger, Wundke, Tiller, Welsh. Norwood are successful and threw plenty at Johnston, Newton etc. If unsuccessful clubs like South and West who have not had high quality zones producing enough good local players (other than those who are too good and get drafted) don't try to recruit high quality (and expensive) players, how are they supposed to compete?

I think South from what a former coworker who was a south seconds player told me . That south years ago were throwing money at vic players they were getting a big contract a sign on fee and a free car.
that was years ago and the player was told off from telling me . i think he was told not to talk to me .
but you may find when these contracts reached the end the players either returned to victoria or the eagles got them .
Like Ainger and Wundke , Boyd the eagles tried to get but couldnt match Centrals when he left centrals egales picked him up .
West i have no idea who they threw money at if they did at all.

mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:41 am

I Know South had a big chance to snare the Gowans but decided to go with a couple of ex Victorians on big money who lasted 1-2 years at best.
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 pm

southern bulldog wrote:I Know South had a big chance to snare the Gowans but decided to go with a couple of ex Victorians on big money  who lasted 1-2 years at best.

i remember hearing a story a club wanted one of the twins but not both of them, i have no idea if this is true or not, so just out of curiosity does anyone know ?

as for them had they gone to South or any other club for that matter who knows whether they would have stayed or gone home because i'm sure being in a dominant team would help sway a decision to some degree
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Bayman, i got told that that it was west adelaide that only wanted one not both --coach at the time wanted both but he who recruited players did not -- heard from a coach at that time
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

I think the AFL players that South went with over the Gowans' twins were Simon Crawshay and Jon Hassall...

Both only lasted 1, maybe 2 seasons at Noarlunga, if my memory serves me correct...

I've heard a story that the day Kris Grant from Central was sitting at the dinner table in the Gowans' Anglesea family home, Doug Thomas rang enquiring about one of the boys, James I think...

The story goes that Dad Peter said if you want one, you have to take both of them and advised Doug that because Kris Grant had made the effort to fly over and visit in person, the boys were signing with Central...

So it goes, anyway...

Last edited by Big Phil on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Byron Sumner training with Sturt...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan2 Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Waddayamean

Your comments regarding West paying significant dollars for recruiting occurred in the 80's and 90's and is not relevant today at all.

It will be interesting to see if Brad Hartman actually completes pre-season and plays for Sturt this year.
If I was a betting man, I don't think he will see out 2017
Lachlan2
Lachlan2

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:31 pm

thanks oldfella & BP.....if Byron Sumner ends up signing & therefore playing with Sturt would his brother follow him there ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:32 pm

Big Phil wrote:The AFL players that South went with over the Gowans' twins were Simon Crawshay and Jon Hassall...

Both only lasted 1, maybe 2 seasons at Noarlunga, if my memory serves me correct...

I've heard a story that the day Kris Grant from Central was sitting at the dinner table in the Gowans' Anglesea family home, Doug Thomas rang enquiring about one of the boys, James I think...

The story goes that Dad Peter said if you want one, you have to take both of them and advised Doug that because Kris Grant had made the effort to fly over and visit in person, the boys were signing with Central...

So it goes, anyway...

The players South went for instead of the Gowans Bros, were Nathan Turvey and Jon Hassell.........both sadly were useless.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan2 Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Waddayamean

Believe me I haven't seen the light. As I stated before your comments about west and its recruiting are not relevant to today.
Lachlan2
Lachlan2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next