goddy11
Lachlan2
Thiele
killer
Brucetiki
27 posters

Page 33 of 36 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Go down

Your Best by the Numbers. - Page 33 Empty Re: Your Best by the Numbers.

Post by Waitingfor#14 Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Complete respect for those chasing up old school details for sanfl numbers. Just so wish Adelaide footy history was sanfl based like you guys state rather than AFL transplanted history that it seems to be now. Well done and love your work.

Last edited by Waitingfor#14 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waitingfor#14
Waitingfor#14

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:15 pm

P.E. or sporting/football stats ? Very Happy
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:40 pm

David Tiller (born 30 May 1958) bio...

Recruited from the Risdon Football Club in the Spencer Gulf Football League, Tiller made his SANFL debut in 1977. In 1984 he was appointed captain of the North Adelaide Football Club, and captained the club from 1984 to 1986.

He played in the North Adelaide premiership team of 1987, and was vice-captain of the club that year.

Tiller won the club's best and fairest award in both 1981 and 1984, and was awarded life membership at North Adelaide in 1986. A smooth running, creative half back flanker for most of his league career, he was a more or less permanent fixture in the Roosters’ line-up for nearly 14 years, during which time he played 290 SANFL games.

He was voted the club’s best and fairest player in 1981 and 1984, but the unarguable highlight of his career was participation in the resounding 82-point Grand Final defeat of Glenelg in 1987. Quite astonishingly for a player of his calibre and impact, David Tiller never played interstate football.

Tiller coached the North Adelaide Under-17s team to a premiership in 2005, and coached the South Adelaide Under-17s team for two years. He coached North Adelaide Under 16s from 2009 until 2016 for premierships in 2010, 2011 and 2013.

In 1993 he was playing coach of the Broadview Football Club's premiership team in A1 Amateur League. He is also a long-serving Geography teacher and Coordinator of Boys' Sport at Westminster School in Adelaide.

During his time with the Roosters, Tiller was regarded as having one of the longest kicks in the league.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 pm

i'll never forget the Sunday match at the bay when Dave Tiller took a mark just before the final siren & needed a goal to win, he celebrated way too much before the kick & subsequently missed, racehorse trainer Wayne Hawkes who at the time was a student at Westminster gave him so much lip at the tunnel David firmly said ''i'll see you tomorrow Wayne'' Wayne at the time thought he was in big trouble but he later told me nothing happened, off course his grandfather Ray Hawkes was a big influence at the bay in many capacities......David was a very good player & had a great left foot on him
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:56 am

Some recent 4s:

Daniel Kirk - Glenelg
Craig Parry - WWT
Cain Ackland - North
Jordan Erskine - Port
Toby Stribling - South
Tim McIntyre - Sturt
James Gallagher - Norwood
Taite Silverlock - West
Nathan Batsanis - Norwood
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:58 am

Some older 4s:

Chris Butler - Torrens
Gary Sims - West
Barry Bamford - North
Jim Bentley - Centrals
Jeff Page - Norwood
David Jackson - Woodville
Ronald Rowe - Glenelg
Mark Whitington - West
Peter Hardy - Woodville
Rex Leahy - Glenelg
Chris Kellett - West
David Marsh - North
Rick Jackson - South
Malcolm Montgomery - North
Kim Kelly - Port
Ian Gates - West
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:59 am

Greg Mellor, with 198 games, leads West's No 4 brigade.

W Dowling played 133, a B & F and 4 premierships.

It has to be remembered that in the early 1900's, the season length was much shorter, so 130 games then would possibly equate to 200 now?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:59 am

I have an inkling Warren Packer wore 4 for Norwood too?

Lee, did Travis Ronaldson wear 4 for Westies in one of his rare appearances for us?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:01 am

Keep these coming, F10.

I always remember Gary Sims.  Came to West from Mt Gambier (?) as a 'boom recruit'. Finished up being a good player at full forward, without being a sensation, but very handy.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:08 am

Flag No.10 wrote:I have an inkling Warren Packer wore 4 for Norwood too?

Lee, did Travis Ronaldson wear 4 for Westies in one of his rare appearances for us?

That's my vague memory too, F10, but Mark Beswick will know for sure.

Travis's first game is still remembered with amusement at Westies.

He had a very short pre-season and was well underdone, so he started on the pine, where he spent most of the game, recovering from very short stints in the ruck, where he did play well.

3 Magarey Medal votes  Very Happy Your Best by the Numbers. - Page 33 2678737410

I always smile at a memory involving him at a pre-season camp in the Riverland, too.

The coach at the time decided it would be a good idea to get each player to give a very short summary of their background before they come to West, then players would ask questions of them.

The questions were all related to football, to commitment, to achievement, to goals, etc.  Anything to get the boys focused on team and success in the season ahead.

With so many players, it started to drag a bit, until Travis Ronaldson got up to ask his first question, to a new recruit.

'What's your favourite biscuit", he asked.

The session closed very soon after.

Wonderful.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by kingrooster Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:
David Tiller (born 30 May 1958) bio...

Recruited from the Risdon Football Club in the Spencer Gulf Football League, Tiller made his SANFL debut in 1977. In 1984 he was appointed captain of the North Adelaide Football Club, and captained the club from 1984 to 1986.

He played in the North Adelaide premiership team of 1987, and was vice-captain of the club that year.

Tiller won the club's best and fairest award in both 1981 and 1984, and was awarded life membership at North Adelaide in 1986. A smooth running, creative half back flanker for most of his league career, he was a more or less permanent fixture in the Roosters’ line-up for nearly 14 years, during which time he played 290 SANFL games.

He was voted the club’s best and fairest player in 1981 and 1984, but the unarguable highlight of his career was participation in the resounding 82-point Grand Final defeat of Glenelg in 1987. Quite astonishingly for a player of his calibre and impact, David Tiller never played interstate football.

Tiller coached the North Adelaide Under-17s team to a premiership in 2005, and coached the South Adelaide Under-17s team for two years. He coached North Adelaide Under 16s from 2009 until 2016 for premierships in 2010, 2011 and 2013.

In 1993 he was playing coach of the Broadview Football Club's premiership team in A1 Amateur League. He is also a long-serving Geography teacher and Coordinator of Boys' Sport at Westminster School in Adelaide.

During his time with the Roosters, Tiller was regarded as having one of the longest kicks in the league.

Very underrated outside of Prospect. Don't think I ever saw David play with his socks up.
kingrooster
kingrooster

Teams : North Adelaide
My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:41 am

Lee wrote:Keep these coming, F10.

I always remember Gary Sims.  Came to West from Mt Gambier (?) as a 'boom recruit'. Finished up being a good player at full forward, without being a sensation, but very handy.

Yeah, Mt Gambier is right. He was a very inaccurate kick from my memory - kicked a lot of points. If he ever kicked a bag of five or six, there'd be five or six points to go with it.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:17 am

Gary Sims had the hairstyle that was popular in the West team at the time. Similar to Simon Fraser, Juan Hooper and a few others, IIRC?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Lee wrote:
Flag No.10 wrote:I have an inkling Warren Packer wore 4 for Norwood too?

That's my vague memory too, F10, but Mark Beswick will know for sure.

I have a feeling it was number 5, but I could be wrong.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:28 am

Sorry, been dragging my heels a bit over the weekend.
Went and watched the Tour yesterday.

Some #3s...
Stephen Clifford (PA)
John McFarlane (G)
Danny Jenkins (N)
Darryl Hart (NA)
David Kantilla (SA)
Peter Macsimovic (CD)
Ralph Sewer (W)
John Lill (N)
Randall Gerlach (PA)

Stephen 'Bomber' Clifford (born 18 September 1956) bio...
Played for the Port Adelaide Football Club and for the Collingwood in the Vfl.

Clifford made his senior VFL debut for Collingwood as a 16-year-old in 1973, won the Gardiner Medal for Best and Fairest player in the VFL reserves the next season but could only amass 38 senior games for Collingwood until 1978. Recruited by SANFL club Port Adelaide early in the 1978 season, Clifford immediately starred, winning the first of his three club Best and Fairests that year. Clifford played in Port Adelaide's premiership teams of 1979, 1980, and 1981, and won further best & fairest awards in 1980 and 1983. While Clifford may be less remembered than other higher-profile Port players of his era, the fact that he won three club best and fairest awards over a six-year period is testament to his talent and consistency.

I always remember Clifford getting the ball in the centre square turning and dobbing the ball on the chest of Tim Evans with monotonous repetition. I reckon it got so routine that Bomber didn't even have to look where Timmy was. Very dangerous player.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Bomber is a very, very underrated part of that golden era of Port. As Chambo mentions, used to lace it out to Evans regularly and was a key to his success as a full forward. Also one of the biggest personalities in SANFL at the time, larger than life.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:32 pm

A late entry for the 4s is Gary Wallis, a very clever rover for Westies in Weideman's reign. I think he was recruited from Collingwood.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Some more recent 3s:

Shane Birss - West.
Josh Waldhuter - Centrals.
Matthew Wright - North.
Ben Kane - Glenelg.
Adam Thomson - Sturt.
Luke Jarrad - WWT.
Salim Hassan - Sturt.
Jacob Crate - South.
Heath Lawry - Centrals.
Matthew Snook - Glenelg.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Some older 3s:

Brian Roberts - South. (The Whale)
Barry Rawson - Torrens.
Laurie Rosewarne - Glenelg.
David Jonas - West.
Peter Anderson - North.
Colin Stutley - Centrals.
Trevor Obst - Port.
Stephen Keam - South.
Frank Spiel - Sturt.
Bruce Winter - Sturt.
D. Kimber - South.
Theo Lindner - North.
Peter Dabovich - West.
John Birt - Torrens.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:44 pm

A good no 3 mark dreher from westies
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by kingrooster Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:54 pm

John Baruzzi played 96 games for North from 1975 to 1979 in the number 3 jumper after winning the 1970 reserves Magarey Medal for Port.
kingrooster
kingrooster

Teams : North Adelaide
My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Ralph Sewer bio...

Raplh Sewer enjoyed a memorable playing career that spanned more than two decades (he actually played in 4 decades 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s). The feisty left-footer made his senior debut for Woodville in 1969 and twenty-two seasons later was a member of the club’s last ever league combination.

His tally of 325 senior games will forever remain a record for the club which was known as the Woodpeckers when he commenced and the Warriors when he finished, and which merged with West Torrens shortly after the conclusion of the 1990 season.

Between 1981 and 1984 Sewer added 57 games for Glenelg, where he went determined to play in a premiership team, but the closest he came was membership of the Bays’ losing Grand Final team of 1982 against Norwood. A year earlier he had missed the Grand Final clash with Port after suffering an injury while playing mid-week for the Fire Brigade. Sewer transferred to Glenelg from Woodville seeking Finals success. His was a test case for the recently instituted SANFL Permit Tribunal points system, which assigned values attributed to age, years of service, games played, State team representation, the winning of club awards, plus a number of intangibles. Perhaps not surprisingly given Sewer's career to that point, the transfer fee set was an astonishing $50,000.

Ironically, no sooner had Sewer returned ‘home’ to Woodville than the Bays procured back to back senior flags for the first and, to date, only time in their history.

Individual highlights of Sewer’s lengthy career Woodville’s best and fairest award in 1978, its top goalkicker award with 52 goals in 1972 and with 37 three seasons later, and 10 interstate appearances for South Australia which yielded 5 goals.

Probably best remembered as a rover, Sewer actually played much of his football while at the Bay as a centreman, and later developed into a more than handy small forward. When he finished his career in 1990 he was the only grandfather playing league football and he went out in style with a best afield display as the Warriors overcame the team it was shortly to ‘marry’, West Torrens, by 45 points.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:22 am

Peter Anderson from North, who later moved to Glenelg and played a fair bit at full back, also rucked at North. I can remember a game at Prospect, it was either 1968 or '69, when at the very start of the game, the ball was bounced and our ruckman, Murray Weideman, just ran straight through Anderson and knocked him out. It was stunning and pretty ugly in hindsight.

John Birt was an extremely clever rover, ex-Essendon, who was playing coach of Torrens in the late 60s.

Anyone know anything about Theo Lindner or Peter Dabovich?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 am

Flag No.10 wrote:Peter Anderson from North, who later moved to Glenelg and played a fair bit at full back, also rucked at North. I can remember a game at Prospect, it was either 1968 or '69, when at the very start of the game, the ball was bounced and our ruckman, Murray Weideman, just ran straight through Anderson and knocked him out. It was stunning and pretty ugly in hindsight.  

John Birt was an extremely clever rover, ex-Essendon, who was playing coach of Torrens in the late 60s.

Anyone know anything about Theo Lindner or Peter Dabovich?

i'm pretty sure that Peter Anderson ended up at Woodville after his Glenelg stint
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 36 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next