goddy11
Lachlan2
Thiele
killer
Brucetiki
27 posters

Page 28 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32 ... 36  Next

Go down

Your Best by the Numbers. - Page 28 Empty Re: Your Best by the Numbers.

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:29 am

A prelude.........

It would be an injustice if we didn’t dwell on SA’s greatest ever player in a thread like this, at least for a little while.

Barrie Charles Robran MBE b25/9/1947

Some facts and curios.
- Signed a Form 4 with Carlton just to keep VFL recruiters off his back. He never went of course.
- Was a prefect in his final year at Whyalla Technical High School in 1964.
- He was a gifted athlete and played Cricket, Basketball, Table-tennis, Cross Country running and baseball.
- He played 2 Sheffield Shield Cricket games for the State in 1972
- Played 201 games for North and 17 State games. Should have been more.
- Played for Walkerville in 1983 but missed the GF due to a broken ankle. Coached his sones there in juniors.
- SA’s only Legend of the AFL
- Awarded an MBE for services to football in 1981
- His first coach, nine-time SANFL Magpies premiership great Geof Motley, had a bet with his chairman of selectors that Robran would become the first four-time Magarey medallist is SANFL football. He lost a carton of beer, but that was because of Robran’s knee injury.

200...at last

There are games that remain special to a football club. One game that represents this for the NAFC is the day Barrie Robran played his 200th official match in Round 10, 1980.

Many others have reached this milestone, but for those on either side of the Prospect Oval fence around the late 1970s would all have been aware the importance and determination hidden behind Robran running through the banner on that day. And to play a strong side like Sturt when North were a struggling club, the boys couldn’t have provided a grander match to help celebrate the occasion.

When Robran was tragically injured in 1974 he had played 152 official games and it was naturally thought 200 games will be an upcoming milestone in a couple of seasons. In fact due to injury Robran’s fight to the 200-club took a further six seasons. Having only played 15 games in the three previous seasons the milestone would have appeared one that may never be reached. Yet in a remarkable sign of courage, patience and determination the day finally arrived. Prior to the match Robran played in one previous game for the season – in an eight-point victory against Norwood two weeks earlier where he was in great form with 21 kicks, 11 marks, 16 handballs and two goals.

The team overall were struggling when coach Robran was named in the Round 10 clash.
The build-up was huge, a massive crowd of over 10,000 was in attendance, and on a sunny Saturday afternoon Robran, with knee profoundly strapped, lead his team onto the ground.

Seven first-quarter goals shocked Sturt and provided an important 17-point buffer which encouraged the crowd to be passionately involved early.. North’s long-kicking and quick ball movement was too much for the shaken Sturt team as they continued to widen the gap each quarter to end up comfortable 50-point victors. The 23.17 was their first 20+ score against Sturt since 1973.

The Advertiser was most willing to highlight the special occasion and the performance North produced:

“Everyone loves a champion. And how true that is when he has the modesty and brilliance of Barrie Robran. Even the most one-eyed Double Blue supporter must have felt a touch of emotion as this great South Australian player led the Roosters through the lineup of players… before charging on to the Prospect Oval for his 200th game.”

“From the first bounce… the famous No. 10 jumper swooped on the ball, evaded opponents and delivered a precision pass to brother Rodney, who completed the act with a goal. The Rooster supporters loved it as they rose to their feet and applauded and the North Adelaide team, lifted by the occasion, played top football to run out convincing winners at the end of the day.”

Robran finished the match with 22 disposals, eight marks and a goal – certainly not his greatest individual match in terms of stats but one that would still rate high on his list.
The best for North was ruck-rover Doug Algate who was simply all over the ground. He collected 32 kicks in a 39-disposal match and was never out of a contest while experienced-recruit Mike Nunan was important with his proficiency and skill to play a mastery role in the win by using his 21 handpasses to link team-mates into great advantage.

Both were highlighted by The Advertiser:

“Doug Algate was absolutely superb, covering enormous areas of play in what must rate as his best game. Michael Nunan, who seems to save his most gritty games for Sturt, plundered the ball constantly, used handball and footpasses to bring other players into the game, and was a constant ‘thorn in the side’ to the Double Blues.

Match Details:
North 7.4 - 12.6 - 17.14 - 23.17 155
Sturt 4.5 - 9.7 - 12.11 - 15.15 105

Ground: Prospect Oval Crowd: 9,964

Best Players:
Algate, Nunan, Hill, McAdam, R. Diorio, B. Robran, Schlein, B. Stringer

Scorers:
Cloke 5, R. Diorio 3, McAdam 3, Algate 3, Ah Chee 2, Hay 2, R. Robran 1, Roach 1,
B. Robran 1, Nunan 1, Schlein 1

The Team:
F: Rodney Robran, Peter Cloke, Robert Diorio
HF: Greg McAdam, Steven Hay, Tony Roach
C: Trevor Hill, Barrie Robran, Barry Stringer
HB: Dean Conder, Brenton Hartfield, Wayne Stringer
B: David Tiller, Trevor Clisby, Michael Redden

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 pm

kingrooster wrote:
Lee wrote:Number 9 next?

We can at least see who came second Very Happy

I've got a ripper out of left-field for that, kr, but I'll leave it until we've given God a bit more time. Very Happy
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:Lee, did Robert Hooper wear 11?

My first thought was No 10, but that's only a guess.

I'll find out.

Might be getting it mixed up with Juan Hooper, though.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:54 pm

I've spotted a budget confirming Robert Hooper as 11. He was a wingman for Westies in the late 60s/70s, and I remember him for two things. His crew cut. And busting his shoulder on the grandstand wall during a game at the Parade.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:05 pm

It's funny, everyone says what a WHS issue that wall is, but until now I have never heard anyone doing a damage from it.

You always get, "it's fine, it's fine don't worry about it".

But I reckon Hooper would have worried.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:07 pm

And finally the number you've all been waiting for (except Lee).......

The venerable #10....
Rick Schoff (St)
Stephen Williams (PA)
Chris McDermott (G)
Roger Woodcock (N)
Milan Faletic (WT)
Kevin Beswick (WA)
Geoff Lauder (St)
Robert Neill (N)
John Paynter (St)
Bob Clayton (PA)
Rex Voight (G)

.......oh and some dude named Robran.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:28 pm

I've got a West player who is better than all those very good players, except for that dude.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:I've spotted a budget confirming Robert Hooper as 11. He was a wingman for Westies in the late 60s/70s, and I remember him for two things. His crew cut. And busting his shoulder on the grandstand wall during a game at the Parade.

Thanks flaggy, I remember him well, not a bad player.

I was getting confused with Juan Hooper, who was No 10 after his early days and played 122 games.

Other good number 10's at West were Darren Carlson (who is in Qld, but I speak to him each year) and Dean Howard.

There is one other, a brilliant player.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:00 pm

the pez Laughing
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Some more recent Robran also-rans:

Luke Ivens - North.
Nathan Daniel - South.
Luke Slattery - Port.
Nathan Eagleton - Norwood.
Kyle Jenner - Centrals.
Ben MacReadie - West.
Christopher Hall - WWT.
John McDonald - Sturt.
Matthew Bode - Glenelg.
Wade Champion - West.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Some less recent No.10 also rans:

Malcolm Whitford - North.
Geoff Kingston - Torrens.
Gary Nicol - Norwood.
Ian Hannaford - Port.
Bob Peach - Woodville.
Lloyd Zucker - Port.
Jim Wright - West.
Russell Virgo - Torrens.
Juan Hooper - West.
Roger Williams - Torrens.
Bruce Lindner - West.
Eddie Fry - South.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Number Bo Derek
Roger Woodcock [Norwood]
602 goals for a non full forward is outstanding
In my opinion a better left foot kick for goal than North Adelaides greatest number 10 !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Jim Wright was a terrific player. A rover, he kicked 10 goals in one game against South.

Last edited by Lee on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 pm

With regards to no 10 Robran was simply and always will be the best.Roger Girdham was a good player for us as well as captaining the side.
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:44 am

For your consideration, here is the player I think runs second to Barrie for guernsey 10:

Henry Richard Head:

Head made his league debut in 1906 as a teenager5, and, in 1909, became just the second ever West Adelaide player to win a Magarey Medal, following on from teammate James Tierney's win in 1908.

The Register described him as a deserving winner of the award. "The one man who shone above all others was Head, West Adelaide's centre pivot", the paper reported. "In nearly every match in which the red-and-blacks took part he was the best of the 36. On the ground he was too clever for all opponents, and in the air about the only player who eclipsed him was Hutton, of Norwood. Much of the success which West Adelaide achieved was due to his wonderful skill, resourcefulness and judgment, with which he associated considerable speed, absolute unselfishness and a gentlemanly demeanor. If anybody deserves the Magarey medal, Head does."[1]

He was appointed club captain in 1913 and also captained the South Australia interstate side that year. Head was chosen to represent South Australia more often than not during his career, playing 17 games in total for his state.

In 1921, Head crossed to Sturt, but he managed just four games before announcing his retirement. He returned to the league, however, the following season as a non-playing coach at Glenelg, and with the side struggling, he took the field for seven games that year to finish with a total of 154 SAFL games. Head continued as Glenelg coach in 1923, his last season of coaching in the SANFL.[2]

Several years after quitting active involvement with football, Head returned as a member of the first Umpires Appointment Board in 1931 alongside other well known figures, such as Vic Richardson, and later became chairman. Head was still serving football in that capacity when he died on 23 December 1940 at the age of 53.

In 2002, Head was one of the 113 inaugural inductees into the South Australian Football Hall of Fame, and he is also a member of the West Adelaide Hall of Fame.[3]

4 premierships, all playing at centre, 5 best and fairests (the war years probably stopped him winning another 1 or 2).

On the top 50 list shown previously, he's ridiculously low at 48 (34 spots below Brenton Adcock).

A note about Barrie Robran - the best player was also the most modest and humble player. Another note to our cricketers, you can be the absolute best without carrying on like pork chops (same for the absolute best cricketer, Bradman).  There's a lesson there.

Last edited by Lee on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Have we had enough with #10?

A lot of quality #9s around over the years.
Jade Sheedy (St)
Mark Williams (PA)
Tony Symonds (G)
Neville Roberts (N)
Barry Stringer (NA)
Nick Liddle (SA)
Danny Harrington (CD)
Aldo Floreani (WT)
Jim Buckley (WA)
Zane Kirkwood (St)
Phil Carman (N)
Wayne Slattery (SA)
Matt Rendell (WT)
Graeme Dunstan (N)
Brett Zorzi (N)
Peter McIntyre (SA)

Norwood seem to have had their fair share.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Richard Hamilton from westies
One of the nicest guys I have ever met
May he RIP

Last edited by blacky on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Yep he was 31 first then 9. Probably did most of his damage in 9.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Rocky Roberts was a great example of a player who had done a number of years in a struggling team and crossed over in the latter stages of his career - much as Frank Stemper did at the same time from Woodville, also to Norwood - hoping for a flag.

Fair to say it paid off in spades for him and he was a very dangerous, mercurial forward at the Redlegs and formed a vital part of Norwood's attack in that golden Neil Balme era (with Balme being very familiar with Roberts' ability when both were at Richmond). Despite being on knees well past their best, he turned opposition defenders out many times and kicked a number of bags of goals that were crucial in so many wins.

His coaching stint wasn't as successful, but certainly fitted into commentary on ABC-TV very well. As Chambo said, one of a string of very good 9's at the Parade.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Richard Cochrane Jnr played 136 senior games in number 9 for the Dogs, also winning 6 flags at League level.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:38 pm

C.K wrote:Rocky Roberts was a great example of a player who had done a number of years in a struggling team and crossed over in the latter stages of his career - much as Frank Stemper did at the same time from Woodville, also to Norwood - hoping for a flag.

Fair to say it paid off in spades for him and he was a very dangerous, mercurial forward at the Redlegs and formed a vital part of Norwood's attack in that golden Neil Balme era (with Balme being very familiar with Roberts' ability when both were at Richmond). Despite being on knees well past their best, he turned opposition defenders out many times and kicked a number of bags of goals that were crucial in so many wins.

His coaching stint wasn't as successful, but certainly fitted into commentary on ABC-TV very well. As Chambo said, one of a string of very good 9's at the Parade.

I reckon he had the biggest helmet of any player that has worn helmets
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:50 pm

Michael Wakelin played 100 games for us he was hampered by a knee injury and we never got to see the very best of him but he was highly rated at Centrals.
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:25 am

Some recent 9s:

Aaron Fielke - West.
James Boyd - Central.
Trevor Cranston - Glenelg.
Jared Polec - WWT.
Daniel Stewart - North.
Daniel Lees - Port.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:28 am

Some less recent 9s:

Graham Durbridge - South.
John Bubner - North.
Greg Whittlesea - Sturt.
Don Hannaford - Port.
Fred Bills - Torrens.
Peter Vivian - Norwood.
Kevin Kelly - Woodville.
David Reeves - Woodville.
Peter Yeo - Port.
Terry Short - Sturt.
Bohdan Jaworskyj - North.
Errol Taylor - Norwood.
Peter Judd - South.
Wayne Jackson - Torrens.
Haydn Linke - Glenelg.
Graham Robbins - South.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 36 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32 ... 36  Next