Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.

+9
mickyj
Booney
robranisgod
Chambo Off To Work We Go
C.K
Ben W
firstblood
RODH2
Flag No.10
13 posters

Go down

Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.  Empty Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.

Post by Ben W Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:21 pm

Greetings all,

I am looking to put together an article to submit to the "Adelaide Remember When" page on Facebook about old or former companies or businesses that sponsored clubs in the SANFL in the 60's-70's-80's. I am trying to put together a list of some of the names that I can recall and would love others to add to the list or to help me fill in the blanks. Here is a small grouping of what I have put together so far.

Central Districts - Holden, Pye Audio

Glenelg - John H Ellers Holden (now Hamilton Holden). Angle Vale Wines

Norwood - AGC Finance (I think they are now GE Money).

North Adelaide -

Port Adelaide -

South Adelaide - Hardy's Wines, Patawolonga Motor Inn, Dario Caravans.

Sturt - AVCO Financial Group (I think they were taken over by CitiBank?)

West Adelaide - I can't recall the name, but they made and sold BBQ's on South Rd?

West Torrens - A company that sounded something like 'Reymel" - I think they did either plastics or sheds?

Woodville -

All - Golden Fleece - Mobil for car sticker promotions.

Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.  Empty Re: Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.

Post by firstblood Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:20 am

All clubs...
I can just remember getting a player card in Easy oats back in the 60's.

Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.  Lindsa10

And pictures of players under Coke bottle tops.

Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.  Coke10

Also, it could have been Amscol or Peters ice cream that had different coloured ice cream between wafers.
I can remember the Westies ice cream was grey and pink, Port was grey and white. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.  Empty Re: Help requested for an article on former SANFL Club Sponsors.

Post by Flag No.10 Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:35 am

Milestone Chemicals and Cappo Brothers Seafood at West.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:00 am

That took me back, firstblood, (a bit too suddenly, in fact). I think I have still got an Eddie Barlow (South African cricketer) bottle top somewhere....!! Smile We need a bigger picture of the West Adelaide part of your bottle top pic.!
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:15 am

RODH2 wrote: That took me back, firstblood, (a bit too suddenly, in fact). I think I have still got an Eddie Barlow (South African cricketer) bottle top somewhere....!!  Smile We need a bigger picture of the West Adelaide part of your bottle top pic.!

That's not mine RODH2... i found it by accident Googling Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:51 am

North Adelaide in the 70s PHR Group of Companies and New Pink Pages at different times had their insignia on the Guernsey.
Then in the 80s and much more prominently were Dunlop Flexible Foams (Dunlopillo), Adelaide Pest Control and then SES Crane Hire before Clipsal became the Major sponsor around 1988 and remained as such well into the 21st century. When Clipsal was sold overseas, another Gerard company, Mistral took over as major sponsor until a few years ago.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 am

Thankyou, robranisgod now that you mention it I recall Mistral being a sponsor and think they may have sponsored WWT also at one stage. I will look into the other names you have provided!
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:22 am

Woodville were sponsored by Stewart Moffat Travel in the early 80's and from memory, Easybuilt just afterwards.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:42 am

Sturt had Sanctuary Cove from memory back in the 90s.
Graeme Douglas Datsun in the 70s.
House Bros Homes in the late 2000s.
Unley Nissan several times.
De Bortoli wines late 2000s.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Hallett Brick Company and Brecknock Insurance were major sponsors of West Torrens at different times in the 1980s
Associated Midland sponsored Glenelg during the 1980s.
Standard Chartered Finance were the major sponsor of Port.
Was JM insurance Woodville and South's major sponsor at different times in the early 1980s

Last edited by robranisgod on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:33 pm

C.K wrote:Woodville were sponsored by Stewart Moffat Travel in the early 80's and from memory, Easybuilt just afterwards.

with Easybuilt i'm positive Malcolm Blight did an add for them when or just after he took over as coach of Woodville
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:52 pm

Port - Standard Chartered for many, many years. Probably one of our longest running sponsors with Maugham Thiem who have been long time sponsors too.
Jetspress for a period, they may have been one of the first to be on our guernsey, early - mid 70's.
Pagel Glass in the early 00's.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Booney wrote:Port - Standard Chartered for many, many years. Probably one of our longest running sponsors with Maugham Thiem who have been long time sponsors too.
Jetspress for a period, they may have been one of the first to be on our guernsey, early - mid 70's.
Pagel Glass in the early 00's.

Maughan Thiem is split Booney one owner or boss supports port the other supports the Eagles
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:06 pm

hey Mr Booney,
didn't Port raffle their major sponsorship at one stage ? i'm almost certain that the Seaton Hotel was the first winner of the raffle, if my memory serves me correctly how many years did the raffle occur ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by warbird Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:11 am

I'm fascinated by this subject also. It always surprises me that football clubs don't include major sponsors in their official records. It would be a lot easier for fans. I've been watching lots of old SANFL videos on Youtube recently, and have been trying to work out the club major sponsors. South definitely had Woodley (Wines & brandy) in '83-'84, but had a new one by '85 which I can't quite decipher, as I'm vision-impaired. It looks something like "Nylee".

Torrens had Marshall Thompson Homes from '86-'90 & Woodville had Devon Homes from '86-'90.

West had Banner Hardware as their major sponsor for a while, but it's hard to make out their earlier sponsors.
warbird
warbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:05 pm

Centrals had Elizabeth Town Centre in the 1970's (I think up until 1980 - definitely the first year or so of the Hicks era white guernsey).

Parabanks also sponsored Centrals prior to Pye Audio.

I have Poms to Premiers at home so when I get home I'll see if I can work out the dates from there.

PS - awesome thread and look forward to seeing it on ARW.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Ben W wrote:
Sturt - AVCO Financial Group (I think they were taken over by CitiBank?)

They were taken over by GE Money as well

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:53 am

Woodville had JM Insurance for a while, Devon Homes was their last major sponsor.

WWT Eagles have had Hills, Mistral, Eagle Insurance, Fielders,
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by warbird Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:17 pm

In case anyone's interested, further research has revealed that South Adelaide were sponsored by Wylie's Shock Absorbers in 1985, the same year that the W.H. Wylie & Co was bought out, so that the product became Monroe Shock Absorbers.

http://www.wholesalesuspension.com.au/monroe.html
warbird
warbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum