Gingernuts
The Emperor
Lee
firstblood
10 posters

Go down

Advice needed Empty Advice needed

Post by firstblood Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:45 am

My daughters friend recently had a week off work, after having tests he has shown to have an irregular heart beat so his doctor advised him to have a week off, so he did....then his employer asked to see all his medical results as she / he didn't believe he had a condition worth having a week off. My daughters freind refused to show any medical results other than a doctors certificate... he was then stood down for a week with out pay. It's a full time job.
He then contacted his union who said to not return to work while the matter is being sorted.... in the meantime, he has no wages coming in and stressing out because he has car payments to make and other living expenses etc...
His employer is refusing to answer calls from the union. He doesn't really want to go back to his employment as he knows he'll just get a hard time from his employer or get stood down anyway.

My original advice to him was to call the union when he was stood down for a week with out pay. My guess is his employer has no right in asking for more medical information, and then to suspend him for a week is not on..
So does anyone know how this young lad should handle this situation? Iv'e already advised him to call his bank regarding his car loan. Should he seek compensation for earnings lost?

In my day the Storeman and Packers union would have had a field day with a company like this one.

firstblood
firstblood

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed

Post by Lee Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:10 am

They certainly have no right to see his medical records.

A doctor's certificate is sufficient.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:55 pm

I would also seek advice from Fair Work Australia

The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Can he get the doctor to ring his employer and reassure him that the advice was official?

Obviously still not disclose the reason for the advice, but just get it from the 'horses' mouth.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm

This it what a doctors Certificate is for and they have no right seeing anyone's medical records, sounds like an ahole to work for.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Thank you all for your replies... The latest is his employer demanded him to see their work doctor which he declined.. it's not work cover, it's a health issue not related to work.
The employer rang his doctor to find out more about his medical condition...the doctor also declined and stated his medical condition is private and confidential...

The union in the meantime have been in contact and he will be paid for the week he was sent home... more to come.

He is employed by (can't say who) an well known auto parts and accessories business.

And his regional manager who is causing all this grief is a woman who i think will regret the decisions she's made.. no offense to our female members here. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 pm

excellent result!!!!!!!!
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Well done to him.cheers 
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Pity we can't name and shame companies like this.

Companies like this deserve to be run out of business.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Pity we can't name and shame companies like this.

Companies like this deserve to be run out of business.
Pretty big company Australia wide. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Hmmm...SuperCheap Auto? I've heard some interesting stories about them in the past...
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:19 pm

contact talk back radio stations or even better the different current affairs shows that are on tv, as soon as any publicity happens they usually back pedal quickly very quickly Wink 
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:Hmmm...SuperCheap Auto?  I've heard some interesting stories about them in the past...
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:36 am

Well it's actually a form of 'bullying' - contact Safework SA - they have bullying/grievance forms that you fill out and then they follow it up with the employer.

A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks A Mum... he's back at work on Monday, how long he lasts is a guess....he will be feeling very uncomfortable and i think his employer won't make it any easier for him.
I'm passing on your advice A Mum. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:46 am

The thing is FB, its much easier to get another job when you already have one in the first place, my advice to him would be to move on as the company are clearly not one that he sees long terms plans for, yet I would not be moving sideways, I would take my time to put in for better paying positions somewhere else and be motivated by the fact that he wont be there for any real long length of time.

Also heart problems are not something to play around with, if he is told to rest whilst they get his medication right, that is good advice. One heart attack because he is out pushing himself for these morons and its all over.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:55 am

Ben W wrote:The thing is FB, its much easier to get another job when you already have one in the first place, my advice to him would be to move on as the company are clearly not one that he sees long terms plans for, yet I would not be moving sideways, I would take my time to put in for better paying positions somewhere else and be motivated by the fact that he wont be there for any real long length of time.

Also heart problems are not something to play around with, if he is told to rest whilst they get his medication right, that is good advice. One heart attack because he is out pushing himself for these morons and its all over.
Well said Ben... spoke to him today and it looks like he might have another job lined up. Very Happy 
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:54 pm

firstblood wrote:Thanks A Mum... he's back at work on Monday, how long he lasts is a guess....he will be feeling very uncomfortable and i think his employer won't make it any easier for him.
I'm passing on your advice A Mum. Smile
No worries - although I agree with BW.

It's fine to be able to report these things - but you still have to work there - that's not a very good environment to have to work in.

Hopefully he can find a happy work life Advice needed 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum