8 posters

Go down

Rule Changes  Empty Rule Changes

Post by Lee Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm

From the SANFL site:

15 Feb 2013
SPEED THRILLS
By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter: @zacmilbank

Speeding up the play will be a key focus as a result of the SANFL’s rule changes to be introduced in season 2013.

Adopting the adjustments approved by the AFL Commission, SANFL umpiring director Shane Harris said keeping the game flowing would be a priority this year.

‘’In theory they should all quicken the game up,’’ Harris said.

‘’There’s no doubt the aim is to keep the ball in motion. The more the ball is flowing around, the better the spectator enjoys it. Rather than the ball being out of bounds or in an umpire’s hands, it’s better off being in play because that’s where all the action is.’’

Three of the four rule changes – separating ruckmen, throwing the ball up and slashing the kick-in time - are designed to reduce congestion, making the game more appealing for supporters.

The fourth rule change will be a more strict interpretation of the current law preventing players from making forceful contact with an opponent below the knees.

‘’The aim with that one is to make sure players keep their feet,’’ Harris said.

‘’We started to see last year, players just diving at the footy and deliberately making contact below players’ knees. This can cause serious injuries as we saw at AFL level with a couple of broken
ankles while it also puts players’ AC-joints under pressure.

‘’It’s important they keep their feet, pick the footy up and move it on. Don’t dive at the footy because any contact below a player’s knees will be a free kick.’’

The rule changes come as the SANFL’s umpiring department this week began its ‘’Roadshow’’, an AFL-funded program promoting umpiring in metropolitan schools.

The ‘’Roadshow’’ – which will also head to Kangaroo Island next month – is designed to foster respect for officials, with two AFL umpires sharing their career experiences.

HARRIS SAYS
Shane Harris’ explanation of the speed-promoting rule changes for 2013

SEPARATION OF RUCKS
‘’This is a real positive from an umpiring point of view. As we’ve seen at a lot of stoppages and boundary throw-ins where players grab hold, it’s pretty hard to pick out who has been the instigator of the contact. So now the ruckmen have to be separated by one metre before the umpire lets the ball go. Once the umpire lets the ball go, they can make contact.’’

THROWING THE BALL UP AROUND THE GROUND
(Reducing stoppage time from 5-8 seconds to 2-3 seconds)
‘’This is another positive where the umpire will throw the ball up around the ground for the whole game. The only time they will bounce the ball is in the middle and that will be after a goal and at the start of each quarter. From a player’s point of view, setting up defensively at a stoppage will be a lot tougher because if you’re not there, the ball will be thrown up anyway.’’

REDUCING KICK-IN TIME
(Reducing kick-in time from 15 seconds to 5-6 seconds)
‘’After a behind is scored, a player will be given five to six seconds before being asked to kick the ball back into play. If he doesn’t do this, then the whistle will blow and he will be asked to play on. It’s a very similar time allowed when a player takes a mark around the ground. So it will speed the game up a bit more, stop delaying tactics and make it difficult to set up defensive zones.’’
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Rule Changes  Empty Re: Rule Changes

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:46 pm

God I hate these blokes buggering around with the rules.
And the word ' interpretation' should never ever be used in connection with a rule book or the rules.

But the one above I 'love' ( Rolling Eyes ) the most is this diving on the ball taking a player out below the knees.

Well folks the game as we know it has changed completely.
Getting the ball courageously by getting to it first is now no longer encouraged nor the object of the game.

Must just go out to ETSA Park this year and watch a real contact sport 'netball'.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Agree, Chambo, the player who gets down low for the footy is going to losr out to theone who just sweats off.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:55 pm

REDUCING KICK-IN TIME
(Reducing kick-in time from 15 seconds to 5-6 seconds)
‘’After a behind is scored, a player will be given five to six seconds before being asked to kick the ball back into play. If he doesn’t do this, then the whistle will blow and he will be asked to play on. It’s a very similar time allowed when a player takes a mark around the ground. So it will speed the game up a bit more, stop delaying tactics and make it difficult to set up defensive zones.’’
what gets me about the kick in is that time does not start till the ball is kicked in or has that rule being changed Exclamation

blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm

I certainly like the rule change of throwing the ball up around the ground, about time.

testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Any contact below the knees will be a free kick? He can't mean that. Is smothering no longer allowed?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:28 pm

do you think they could just leave the game alone for a while ?

in some cases they've brought in rule changes to speed up the game & then they shorten the quarters because of injuries & longevity of the players in the game

FFS JUST LEAVE THE GAME ALONE PLEASE
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm

if they leave the game alone then some administrators wouldnt have anything to do to justify there pay
The Emperor
The Emperor

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down